[SOLVED] Guidance sought - first office network

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Hello all,

I need advice on internet connectivity and networking for a ~1,800 sq ft office (Canada).

The type of work includes video calls (4-5 max simultaneously), VOIP calls (2-3 max simultaneously) and the basic office work. We don't have a server, data center or anything close to that which requires a sophisticated network.

This is my first office so I'm researching and need help.

Useful info:
  • We're a team of 6 and will grow until we're 12-15
  • There are about 18 Ethernet ports in the walls
  • At a given time there could be 15 wireless devices connected
  • We'll opt for Bell Fibe 1GB. Bell will provide a Modem with a built-in Router
  • All our storage is on the cloud
  • I am an IT and DIY enthusiast, not a professional

Questions:
  • Is Bell's installation limited to getting connectivity until the network closet?
  • The office does not have a Switch or a Hub. I believe I need a Switch, right?
  • In order to get strong WiFi coverage, I intend to place the ISP's router at one end and another 3rd party router in one of the room's via Ethernet. Does this make sense?
  • I've put together a diagram of how I see things, please let me know if I'm on the right track? Image uploaded here: https://ibb.co/6vsRz0q
  • Any best practices?

Thank you

Solution
Hello all,

I need advice on internet connectivity and networking for a ~1,800 sq ft office (Canada).

The type of work includes video calls (4-5 max simultaneously), VOIP calls (2-3 max simultaneously) and the basic office work. We don't have a server, data center or anything close to that which requires a sophisticated network.

This is my first office so I'm researching and need help.

Useful info:
  • We're a team of 6 and will grow until we're 12-15
  • There are about 18 Ethernet ports in the walls
  • At a given time there could be 15 wireless devices connected
  • We'll opt for Bell Fibe 1GB. Bell will provide a Modem with a built-in Router
  • All our storage is on the cloud
  • I am an IT and DIY enthusiast, not a...

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Everything has been set up. I was able to get Cat 6a running through the walls instead of 5e.

Though not optimized yet, I have a functioning office network.

Edit: Have to mention that adopting the switch was a pain. Turns out the firmware was old and only a manual update via SSH commands was possible. That was exciting.