[SOLVED] Guild Wars 2 CPU

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
Hello guys,
i have question about good CPU to improve my FPS in Guild wars 2 Game. I have i7-6700K,4,6Ghz,1,38V/temps under 70degree.
I think this game need to have good single thread cpu, is right?
When i buy i7 9700K it would be possible to get more FPS? Is worth it? At the moment i have GTX 1070/1920x1080/144Hz monitor/Ram 3200Mhz. I will to play this game and World of Tanks into higher resolution (maybe 2560x1440,32inch,144Hz)

https://ibb.co/t4VS3V4

Regards
Lukas

Solution
Apparently, from my reading, guild wars 2 is largely single threaded.
If you are running a i7-6700K at 4.6 that is about as good as you can expect to do.
If you have a very good chip, you might get to 4,7.

If you want more, then you need a latest gen intel K suffix processor as well as a new motherboard.
I3-10600K, I7-10700K, and I9-10900K all should do 5.0 and the 10900K, which is better binned might do 5.3.
Are any of these worth it?
Probably not unless you have no budget constraints.

To get an insight to your fps constraints, try this simple test:
Run YOUR game, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a...

Lutfij

Titan
Userbenchmark should be banned from the internet! It's done nothing but create confusion for newcomers to this industry. That being said, please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

We can move forward from there.

You might also want to know that changing the processor to an i7-9700K will require you to change the motherboard as well.

Wolfshadw

Titan
The original Guild Wars 2 - Path of Fire Minimum CPU Requirement was an Intel Core2Quad @ 2.4GHz,

I would think that if your current processor is having issues running the game, there is something else wrong and a new processor isn't going to fix it.

-Wolf sends

If you are running a i7-6700K at 4.6 that is about as good as you can expect to do.

If you want more, then you need a latest gen intel K suffix processor as well as a new motherboard.
I3-10600K, I7-10700K, and I9-10900K all should do 5.0 and the 10900K, which is better binned might do 5.3.

If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you are looking at a new higher resolution monitor, my guess is that a stronger graphics card is what you need most.

Solution

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
Userbenchmark should be banned from the internet! It's done nothing but create confusion for newcomers to this industry. That being said, please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

We can move forward from there.

You might also want to know that changing the processor to an i7-9700K will require you to change the motherboard as well.

Hello,
this is my setup:

CPU: I7 6700K/OC 4,6Ghz
Motherboard: GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0)
Ram: HyperX Fury DDR4 16GB (kit2x8GB) 3200Mhz CL13 SR x8
SSD/HDD: ADATA SSD XPG SX8200 Pro /Samsung EVO 750 (120GB) /Samsung EVO (250GB) /Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
GPU:MSI GTX 1070 8GB
PSU:Seasonic Focus Plus Gold - 750W

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020

If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you are looking at a new higher resolution monitor, my guess is that a stronger graphics card is what you need most.

I tried to set up 2 different options: Best Performance and best Appearance setup. Look at the picture

https://ibb.co/16wn1jW

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
You get much better FPS with low settings.
That tells me that your cpu is plenty adequate and that better graphics is your way to better fps.

I saw lot of articles when you changed GPU did not help with improving FPS ...

This is one for example
You should add that "High Performance" energy setting pushes the CPU to maximum frequency all the time. So you basically disabled most of the energy saving functions. The FPS gain is <1%. Recorded several walking routes under same conditions and observed the fps during World Events and LA. You won't notice any difference except on your electricity bill. Deactivating Game Bar changes nothing to the fps, at least not in GW2. Deactivate DVR should gain you some fps, at least the background mode. To avoid the VSync fps drops from 60 to 30, use variable VSync with triple Buffer activated. Changing reflections depends highly from the area you are. Biggest fps impact: shadows, shader, character-limit/quality. GW2 is mostly limited by CPU and especially by the frequency. You want maximum fps? Buy an Intel and overclock it to 5 ghz. On GPU side you won't notice big differences above a GTX 1060. Using GW2 on Windows 10 April update since two weeks, didn't oberserve any difference. Running on i5 4570k @4,2, 16 GB RAM and GTX 1070.

By the way, you can enhance GW2 optics with the filters of Geforce Experience. Fps impact is minimal (2-5%) but with some tweaking you get a much cleaner image, especially leaving post-processing on.

Last edited:
I am no expert on GW2.
I would defer to the expertise on the GW2 forums.

If you are thinking of using a 9700Kas a solution, about the max clock you could expect might be 5.0.
That is about a 5% improvement. The performance per clock is about the same.

As a back handed test to see yow sensitive the game is to processor speed, go to windows performance settings.
Reduce the maximum cpu% from 100% to 95% and see how that impacts performance.

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
I am no expert on GW2.
I would defer to the expertise on the GW2 forums.

If you are thinking of using a 9700Kas a solution, about the max clock you could expect might be 5.0.
That is about a 5% improvement. The performance per clock is about the same.

As a back handed test to see yow sensitive the game is to processor speed, go to windows performance settings.
Reduce the maximum cpu% from 100% to 95% and see how that impacts performance.

Im looked at CPUbenchmarks. I think i7 9700K has 10% improve in the one core...
https://ibb.co/tDq8v9B

TRENDING THREADS