Guild Wars 2 Headstart Program Starts Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I for one will not be playing this game. When I was a kid, I used to be addicted to MMOs and it was really bad. With MMORPGs you've got to keep current to have fun. So I try to stay away from these games now because you really have to invest a lot of yourself into it which I can't/won't do.

Runescape around 2000-2004 when I was 10-14 years old.

I'll be logging in shortly after it goes live.
I'm not sure what was meant by "keeping current;" although GW2 unfortunately raises the level cap dramatically (the reason for the cap in GW1 made a lot of sense), I don't believe it is possible to "fall behind" in this game. In parts of the PvP, created characters are at max level and ability, so it is player skill, not what gear you've got, that determines how well you do. PvE you go through as you have time. The non-instanced environment of GW2 meant there were always other players around for cooperative play, whether you were formally in a party with them or not.
Being deaf in one ear means I have a real hard time with shooters, so for me this game is going to absolutely ROCK.

aodknifer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I really want to start playing a MMORPG again and this draws my attention. I dont want to regret my purchase lol what do you guys/girls think?

G

That's pretty stupid...GW2 has a one time fee and you have full access to everything. It's not like WoW where you sink your money into a monthly fee only to get an expansion release that renders all of your gear moot after one zone. This game was built to play casually exactly for the reason you don't want to play aftcomet. Shame you are being so short sighted. GW2 is a next gen mmo. Playing right now and loving it!

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I've played the first one for 3-4 years and I eventually got bored of it since everything after reaching max level was the same. I wonder if PvP will become something like the past in which a particular team or character build will dominate for the week and everyone copies or if people will just gank the guild leader. Farming becomes mundane after a while when you reach 1000 platinum and everyone runs a Wa/Mo, Mo/Wa, or El/Mo to farm. I think I'll wait a few months to see if those trends happen again and then see if I want to get it or not.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
The game is currently having minor crashes with the total 2.5 miilion pre-orders going thru. Also for those that dont know, most popular names are gone.

G

There done seem to be a problem going on with it. Does anyone know what is wrong? also jtt283 glad I'm not the only one who can't get on to gw1 as well.

FlyingPickles

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
The ANet servers had an issue due to some issues that were never fully addressed in the stress tests. Apparently they had to take the servers down, GW1 and GW2 are the same server group to make the repairs it should be back up shortly they are giving updates every 15-20 minutes via Twitter @ www.twitter.com/GuildWars2

Great game I played from launch at midnight EST last night and found that there was soooooo much to do, my guild and I spent 4 hours completing the started map to 100%...and it was one of the smaller starter maps in the game FTW....

I'm glad they started the head start 3 hours early, didn't want to start playing at 12PM at night. The game is so fun, I love the dynamic events. It's cool because you earn a ton of experience from events.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]Engima[/nom]I've played the first one for 3-4 years and I eventually got bored of it since everything after reaching max level was the same. I wonder if PvP will become something like the past in which a particular team or character build will dominate for the week and everyone copies or if people will just gank the guild leader. Farming becomes mundane after a while when you reach 1000 platinum and everyone runs a Wa/Mo, Mo/Wa, or El/Mo to farm. I think I'll wait a few months to see if those trends happen again and then see if I want to get it or not.[/citation]
I have played GW for years as well and we remember a very different game... first the game actually BEGINS at max level everything before that is only a tutorial of sorts where you gather your main skills before getting in the serious stuff. GW2 will probably be the same except that max level won't be 20 but 60-80... what you say about some builds being flavor of the week... well that's every MMO.

so if one stops playing when reaching max level, he's missing on most of the content.

jesh4622

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I'm playing now and loving it! If you have even the slightest interest in GW2, try it. What do you have to lose? No monthly fees!
I played GW1 since beta, and love how different GW2 is. It's great to see the new Tyria.

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I have been playing since it went live. Well I also played during the Beta openings. I do not like a lot of the new game, I liked the puzzles of the first game, do this before doing that. With the new GW2 its a button smashing fest. My wife likes the additional story lines she thinks it makes it more personal. I have found that this game make our video cards run very hot even when we lowered the game graphics all the way down. I have a 250 GTS, and she has a 275 GTX. I don't know how much more of the game the video cards will handle. I have removed the sides of our computers and have a large fan blowing on both to keep them cooled off enough to play. Another issue we have been having is joining each other. Since GW1 was instance based when you left town as a party that party was put in its own instance and were together. Now if you are in a party and leave town together it is almost like rolling a dice to see if you end up in the same instance on the other side. We usually have to map travel around 6 times to see each other. The more people in the part the harder to join each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.