Guild Wars 2 Pre-Launch Turnout Numbers Are Impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I saw Guild Wars 2 at a friend's house, i have to admit its a 2010+ mmorpg, meaning graphics and details are awesome but i do have to say another thing too...

All mmorps released this year and last year are trying to have things that World of Warcraft doesn't have. This is really nice for us, the customers, however an mmorpg isn't going to survive for long if it just have stuff that wow doesn't.
Uniqueness, gameplay, long term / end game gameplay are really important. I don't mean to say that GW2 doesn't have them, it is really a nice surprise to see such a nice mmorpg that makes you want to play and level up again (after hours and hours on many other mmorpgs the last 10 years for me), but i am curious if the pve endgame is there or not.
And as i am the first to post (strange!) i will also say, that buy once and play forever without subscription is really really nice but that means that microtransaction system will appear and will make us pay way more / month in a total of a year..

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Big deal and no its not a big deal. Lets wait till after the first 6 to 12 months and see where GW2 is at. That will show the real story as it will filter out the alt-aholics that only go half way then quit, the BBD'ers, and all the rest. Hopefully GW2 will be the sh#J$ and looks like it could be; but numbers this soon really mean nothing.

xcomvic

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I think the PvP area GW2 is fine, it has a mix of everything for everyone. Battlegrounds, as well as persistent WvWvW. Then you have the PvE. It would have been nice for open world PvP, but WvWvW is almost as good as it. Lots of zerging:)

xaero1ne

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
GW2 with its no subscription model has restored my faith in MMO's. For many players like myself; who only have a few hours a week to play games, and who have a tendency to split our time between several games, its a huge sigh of relief knowing that i can come back to GW2 any time i want without having to dish out my credit card.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
GW2 is a nice game but security is pretty lax I think. I ended up having someone hack my account change my user name thus locking me completely out of the account.

Since then I have noticed GW2 has a message on support saying PW resets are disabled. Memory also serves me correct the passwords could not contain any symbols only letters and numbers. There is no mobile or physical authentication offered.

I think GW2 is a great game but I also think they need to step up security and service. Two days of being unable to login because of security issues I had no control over.

Obviously I checked my computer out thoroughly for security threats. I would assume to change someones user name you need there PW, Account Security Questions.

Once the account named is changed the registered email address is sent a message saying it was changed to contact support with questions.

Something as simple as having the person verify the change thought email by following a link and inputting a code would have stop the issue.

I guess what I am getting at is simply this if GW2 cant secure there servers it will be short lived because people will not put up with mass hacking, gold bots, etc for very long.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]Big deal and no its not a big deal. Lets wait till after the first 6 to 12 months and see where GW2 is at. That will show the real story as it will filter out the alt-aholics that only go half way then quit, the BBD'ers, and all the rest. Hopefully GW2 will be the sh#J$ and looks like it could be; but numbers this soon really mean nothing.[/citation]

This, SW:TOR had impressive numbers as well at launch and look at where it is now.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Game is too good. I'm level 60 and my GF is only level 46. I love being able to go back to her zones, be down leveled (Things stay challenging) and still get rewarded with tons of xp from exploring, harvesting, killing and all the quests and events.

That and the fact that the second you hit level 2 you can go into sPvP and not have to worry about gear at all. If you like instanced and tourney style PvP you can level all classes to 2 and never have to worry one bit about a gear grind or some try-hard carrying big stupid purple sword of "I raided the same PvE instance 50 times so I earned to right to win" one shotting you in PvP.

The WvWvW brings me back to DAoC and while i haven't dipped much into that it seems like a blast so far.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
[citation][nom]HotRoderx[/nom]GW2 is a nice game but security is pretty lax I think.[/citation]
I haven't looked too deeply into this, but Anet is aware of the security issues - that's why they disabled p/w resets and the mail system. Iirc, you can still get your account back through email authentication. Check this.

G

The game is brilliant and will keep me playing for a very long time with the huge number of personal story possibilities, fun crafting system, and WvW pvp. Even if you are able to get through the huge amount of content, it's ArenaNet so you know there will be more coming sooner than you might expect.

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
The game is a breath of fresh air. It is innovative in almost more ways than I could have ever imagined. My only concern for the game right now is sustainability. The "endgame" of the game is meant to be the whole game from level 1 to 80+ (you still gain experience but you gain skill points which is useful for rare gear). Some people probably won't realize this and I'm guessing they'll be like "where's the endgame?" and then quit. I guess this doesn't really hurt them at all financially because there's no sub fee at all. I guess we'll see in a few months. IMO it's either going to be a huge hit or a huge miss. I frankly don't care because I'm having the time of my life playing this game.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]jadefrog[/nom]The game is brilliant and will keep me playing for a very long time with the huge number of personal story possibilities, fun crafting system, and WvW pvp. Even if you are able to get through the huge amount of content, it's ArenaNet so you know there will be more coming sooner than you might expect.[/citation]

Thanks for giving me that link personally I dont use reddedit(what ever its called) so I had no idea they even knew about the issue to tell yea the truth. I just noticed them making odd changes.

G

How do you judge the success of GW2? I see a lot of people saying "let's see where it is at in a year." But I say so what. It is not subscription-based. It's business model is primarily based on box sales. The company has confirmed that the sales are higher than expected. Unless the majority of people request refunds, it has already met its expectations. It does not have to sustain a monthly population due to subscription revenue forecasts.

The game is fun. It does not need a huge population of concurrent users for years to come to remain being fun. It just needs people who love the game. GW1 has lasted for 7 years. Even if the number of concurrent users dropped in a year, so what. As long as people are playing, guilds are active and it is fun, most users will be happy.

Then like they did with GW1, there will be expansions. That will increase their revenue and bring back some interested in new content and maybe even attract new players.

So again I ask, how do you measure the success of GW2 given its business model? Box Sales? Then yes, it has achieved its objective.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

No prob - I don't use reddit either, but I follow GW2 on the Twitters, and they're posting links to info like that frequently. Something else that may be helpful to you.

Edit: More comprehensive security update notes, for those who need it.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I personally love the model of GW2, If Bliz would take a queue from this I might actually buy something from them again. (whats their new franchise called again, oh that's right "All your $'s belong to us"?)

deicided

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
[citation][nom]tamerlee[/nom]It's not the kind of game you stick around playing. There is absolutely nothing to do end-game.[/citation]

How the hell do you figure that one. GW has always been about the end content which is why the first only had a level cap of 20. Expansions come regularly (if the model will be based like the original) and their expansions are like an entire new game worth of content not just a few more little things to tinker around with and do.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I bought it purely based on the hype it was getting. Early levels are far less engaging than WoW/TOR in general, sometimes feel like a headless chicken without enough explanation how to use abilities or skills. I find myself just wandering around for random events pokemon style. It is supposed to be more action-oriented but aside from the double-tap dodge I keep doing the same routine as other MMOs. Haven't tried WvW, but PvP atm is just another Arathi Basin.

Frankly I don't believe this is a superior MMO to any of the current offerings, and I wonder if it is doing well just because of backlash from D3.

schiwing

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]This, SW:TOR had impressive numbers as well at launch and look at where it is now.[/citation]

SWTOR could have been good. Unfortunately, too much time was spent with voice-over and about no time was spent of PVP, raiding, class balancing, crafting, and bugs? Yeah, SWTOR could have been good, lots of people gave it a chance and hoped for it to be fixed. A lot of bugs that were reported in Alpha persisted through release and the months to follow.

But if you want to talk about real screw ups, may I remind you of FFXIV?...

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]schiwing[/nom]A lot of bugs that were reported in Alpha persisted through release and the months to follow.[/citation]

That's EA for you... Also, the game install wouldn't even load for MANY people at release and they kept telling them it wasn't anything on their end. They really screwed that up royally.

As for Secret World, I hear it's fun -- but the only reason I know about the game is because a friend told me about it. Failed advertisement IMHO.

G

[citation][nom]tamerlee[/nom]It's not the kind of game you stick around playing. There is absolutely nothing to do end-game.[/citation]

The Game has been around for 5 full days! How on earth can you judge that after 5 days! I call you out, BS!

GW2 has so far re-invigorated my dealings with MMO based games.
After years of Grind, from LOTRO, Champions, Aion, AoC, Universe, SWTOR, WoW, and a others, I can honestly say GW2 is the best MMO I have had since LOTRO.

I cannot log into some MMO (LOTRO especially) anymore because all i see is work, GRIND GRIND GRIND! That is all the end game is , Effin Grind, like a job! The only way to get the right level of character for PvP (Uber Armour, Weapons) is to spend months grinding the same runs again and again and again till boredom drives you away from the game!

GW2 has more ways to fun than End game.

I simply cannot wait till all the Flik Flaks leave GW2 and the real gamers are left!

Status
Not open for further replies.