Question Guitar amp as case?

justinbower

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
So I've been gathering components for a mATX size build and trying to figure out a case. I wanted something unique, but everything is either solid dull box or rainbow RGB, neither of which appeals to me (no judgement, just there it is).

At the same time my guitar amp crapped out on me. So I looked at my components, looked at my amp cabinet and said...hmmm.

My first question is....will it fit? The interior of the amp cabinet, assuming I gut it, is (H/W/D) 13"/15"/7". The back is enclosed with a removable panel, which I was intending to replace with an acrylic panel. Are those dimensions enough to fit in a mATX mobo and PSU? I assumed I'd make cutouts on the side/back for fansand maybe replace the speaker opening with a big 200mm fan. The cabinet is wood with tolex covering. I have another case I could salvage parts from (mounts, etc.)

Is this doable, or lunacy? It seems cool, but it also seems to present some logistical challenges.

justinbower

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
ANyone have any thoughts/advice before I start cutting in? Things to think about? wood seems to be between 1/2" and 3/4" thick all around, guessing a dremel won't be up to the task. Not sure if I could use a router through the tolex covering? guessing I'll have to jigsaw out the holes...

USAFRet

Titan
ANyone have any thoughts/advice before I start cutting in? Things to think about? wood seems to be between 1/2" and 3/4" thick all around, guessing a dremel won't be up to the task. Not sure if I could use a router through the tolex covering? guessing I'll have to jigsaw out the holes...
Have a plan and specific measurements.
Measure twice, then measure again, THEN cut.

As said earlier - "Is this doable " all relies on your personal DIY skills.

Reactions: justinbower

TRENDING THREADS