[SOLVED] Gutman wipe days it’s going to take 90 hours.

Brandude

Prominent
Apr 20, 2019
I have a 2tb seagate hard drive and I am running a gutman wipe. I’ve only used a few hundred gbs of the 2tb drive but when I am running a gutman wipe through dban it is saying that it is going to take 92 hours. The time keeps changing by a few hours. Is it really going to take this long?

Solution
I originally thought I had a virus and that’s why I tried doing this. Is there a way to stop it and do a wipe on dban that takes less time
Unknown as to the actual state it would be left in if you were to just abort the current process.
Probably just simple "Initialize" in disk management.

Brandude

Prominent
Apr 20, 2019
Reinstalling windows. In videos I watched it says if you have a few hours time and you want a thorough cleaning that you should go with the gutman wipe. So will it really take this long?

USAFRet

Titan
Reinstalling windows. In videos I watched it says if you have a few hours time and you want a thorough cleaning that you should go with the gutman wipe. So will it really take this long?
Yes, a gutman would take that long.

For a simple reinstall of the OS? There is ZERO need to do that.

Just delete all the existing partitions, and proceed on with a blank drive.
Seriously.

Brandude

Prominent
Apr 20, 2019
Yes, a gutman would take that long.

For a simple reinstall of the OS? There is ZERO need to do that.

Just delete all the existing partitions, and proceed on with a blank drive.
Seriously.
I originally thought I had a virus and that’s why I tried doing this. Is there a way to stop it and do a wipe on dban that takes less time