Guy Makes a PC Out of Nintendo Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just some guy who had no life and lots of time to stuff some beat up junk into wii's plastic casing. Nothing impressive or cool about it. Post this again when that guy stuffs himself into a wii's casing then i'll be impressed.

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
[citation][nom]xX12amanXx[/nom]stopped reading after...."overclocking it your processor"[/citation]
Thanks for fixing! Article is pretty interesting and it is cool to read about little projects people take on!...Reminds me of the time i installed an rx-7 13b into a 914 porsche.

kitsilencer

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Guy Makes a PC Out of Nintendo Wii

No he didn't. He emptied out the Wii and used it as a glorified case. If I did the same thing with a cereal box, you wouldn't call it "Guy makes a PC out of a Rice Crispies box."

And you certainly wouldn't post it as a news item.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Gosh a lot of flaming comments! Sure the title is misleading, and no he didn't use the wii hardware as a pc, but nontheless the feat of installing a pc into that awkwardly shaped chassis is considerable.
People seem to argue that by doing so he proves he has too much time, and too little to do with it ; but how do you guys think art is made? it's certainly not made by people with no time on their hands .... And it's noisy and impractical ; so what? Art experts dismiss the design of practical things as not being art, because those things have a purpose. By using old and inferior hardware, the crafter of this item has effectively avoided giving the 'wii pc' a purpose ; thus making it art.

And as a piece of art it's marvelous.

I do however have to agree with the basic fact, that this doesn't belong in the thg news section, but perhaps on tom's guide or something like that.

ps. if I'd done this, I'd have used the mini itx board by some german company, running a centrino platform with an ati card onboard. Would've rendered the item useful though, and as such denied it the title of art, which I think the creator would be more proud of than being the creator of a simple mini-pc

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Fulle your post actually has one useful piece of info! Getting an eee to run inside a toaster is infact a good idea! Perhaps I should spray my fladbed toaster black, and try to fit one inside. Could be quite entertaining, and definetly a challenge - something you probably don't appreaciate.

theanonymous1

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
The problem with the article postings on Tom's Hardware is not the articles themselves. It is the people who have nothing better to do than to post comments like we see above. Why don't you take that negative energy and do something useful with it.

G

[citation][nom]theanonymous1[/nom]The problem with the article postings on Tom's Hardware is not the articles themselves. It is the people who have nothing better to do than to post comments like we see above. Why don't you take that negative energy and do something useful with it.[/citation]

Yup - article is just a harmless bit of fun, why bother with the flaming?
There are a lot more odd weird PC's like this on mini-itx.com inclusing this one http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/toasterpc/, the toaster PC.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]caamsa[/nom]Now what he should do is put the Wii in a computer case and then they can write another article. ;-P[/citation]

That would be funny. Showing up at your friend's house with a full tower (steel, of course) case with the Wii guts inside.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Thank you to others who have criticized this piece of shit article. I expect nothing else, from Tuan... The "Mac's are not overpriced", delusional moron.Just great, Tuan. You've wasted my time with your crap once again. I have to start checking the name of the writer before I read anything on Toms from now on, so I don't accidentally skim over any more of your BS. Here I was thinking I was going to read something interesting, such as someone who managed to get XP running on a wii, or linux, or another modern OS, but instead its just some idiot who gutted a perfectly good game console to make an overheated box that doesn't even have an optical drive. Way to go! Not to mention the machine would be as slow as a dog, and similar in size to products that exist on the mainstream. Would it be news if I pulled the parts out of a Asus eee, and tossed em' in a fucking toaster?I give up. But seriously, this is the last time I read anything you write.[/citation]

That is a great idea. Do the toaster PC project. Use the bread slots as optical drives or something. Post it somewhere, I'll write a small bit about it to give some coverage to end users who do neat things with their custom hardware. So do it up, I'll attribute it to you.

First I cover Macs; got flamed. Then now I'm covering neat custom projects using PC parts from end users who might appreciate some coverate on Tom's; get flamed.

Ah well.

/ Tuan

gxsolace

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Thank you to others who have criticized this piece of shit article. I expect nothing else, from Tuan... The "Mac's are not overpriced", delusional moron.Just great, Tuan. You've wasted my time with your crap once again. I have to start checking the name of the writer before I read anything on Toms from now on, so I don't accidentally skim over any more of your BS. Here I was thinking I was going to read something interesting, such as someone who managed to get XP running on a wii, or linux, or another modern OS, but instead its just some idiot who gutted a perfectly good game console to make an overheated box that doesn't even have an optical drive. Way to go! Not to mention the machine would be as slow as a dog, and similar in size to products that exist on the mainstream. Would it be news if I pulled the parts out of a Asus eee, and tossed em' in a fucking toaster?I give up. But seriously, this is the last time I read anything you write.[/citation]

I don't find you useful to me and in my PC building projects. Is your existence useful to me and what I do? No. Hmm. In that case, according to your logic, I think you should go kill yourself now - cuz stuff that's not useful shouldn't exist right?

Whether or not this article was "useful" or not is subjective. Maybe it gave someone an idea to do a project and inspire something. If it wasn't useful for you, go look up something else. You have the Internet at your disposal. Why don't you Google for something you want then, instead of reading something that didn't please you and then blasting people about it?

I'm sure this piece may have inspired a lot of people to do custom build jobs.

You are one sad individual if you spent all that time flaming and provided nothing critical in terms of an idea or suggestion.

"Damn, Tuan wrote another POS after the last POS, and I read it again! I could have suggested something better but... I chose not to, and now that I read another thing I think is a POS, I am so angry. I could give advice but... I'll wait to get angry again."

Get a life.

angrylama18

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
My word, all you haters need to stfu. I thought it was interesting, leave your negative comments for mommy's and daddy's who wont buy you a wii.

spartanii

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Ya i will admit its not exactly news that someone put pc hardware into small object but interesting non the less..the article took couple of mins to read and if you feel like somehow that sitting there at ur computer and taking a few mins a read a article that wasn't exactly your cup of tea justifys harassing the writer then you need take a good long look in the mirror and say wow im a dick, it probably took you longer to write ur hate filled comment then it took to read the article.

G

Somewhat nifty, but what's the point? I'd rather have a Wii than a 1.3 GHz Celeron XP machine, and there are nice looking SFF cases available.

A PC and a Wii in one tiny case would be cool.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
The name wasteoftime kinda fits well :) It works like a heading for what's to come in the users post...

Anyhow, Tuan go on. I've read all your articles, and I'm not particularily impressed, but most of the flaming come from people who do nothing but that, thus most isn't very relevant.

I know you read all of the comments for one of the articles, so I know you try to improve. Be a bit more considerate when picking titles and sections to post the stuff in, and I think you'll be just fine.

G

Maybe Tom's will soon discover http://www.mini-itx.com/ and do an article on it also.....

Status
Not open for further replies.