Question Guy wants to sell me 64gb ram

swisso

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
Hey, this guy on gumtree wants to sell me 64gb ram 2400mgz for 250 he said he bought it for 1000.Is he legit and is this a scam I'm really confused pls help

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Beware of registered/buffered server memory.

The guy may have accidentally bought some (that you can't use on non-Xeon/EPYC systems) and is trying to pass them along. Especially the low 2400 MHz speed and the brand being Crucial are suspicious.

EDIT: I just noticed from the later posts that it's 4 x 16 GB kit, so the following may not apply to the OP, but I'm leaving it for later readers' reference:

Make sure it's DDR4 and that you can fit the number of modules in your system; you probably don't want and can't use 8x8 GB sticks of DDR3?

Some notes on maximum module size (for non-registered, non-buffered):
  • DDR4 modules are commonly available up to 16 GB size per module.
  • 32 GB DDR4 modules have been introduced lately in two variants:
    • one essentially works as two modules in one (so you can only use one of these double modules per channel)
    • the other is just double capacity
    • Compatibility with the CPU and motherboard needs to be double-checked from the manufacturer, and unless explicitly stated in the specs, you should assume your hardware is not compatible.
    • I don't how likely it would be for anyone would be selling either of these online (as of this writing - 2019-03-10) - unless they found out the hard way that their system wasn't compatible.
  • DDR3 modules come in up to 8 GB size.
Any larger size modules will always be registered and you can't use them in consumer systems.

Last edited: