Guys Help! My Hard Drive Dies

Carol Anthony

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016
Guys I need you're help my hard drive died while playing city skyline and it is also my main drive while the game is at the d drive. On Hardware Sentinel It didn't show any error after i boot it up while playing i experienced freezing and after that it froze forever. Then i restarted it my hdd is not getting detected after some time trying to detect it. When i completely shutdown my computer my hdd get detected but it won't boot up because the hdd just dissapears i think my drive got crashed it shows on bios after restart it takes so long to show the gigabyte logo and after i see it on the bios its gone then one thing happen my hdd won't detect anymore. Is there a chance to recover it ? my family pictures are in there. Im sorry for my bad english im lazy at correcting grammars.

Solution
Sounds like the hard drive is on its last legs as these are all symptoms of a dying hard drive. You can try it in an enclosure on another PC to see if it can be detected.

If you can't get any PC to read the hard drive, then it's a question of how much the data on there is worth to you. There are data recovery firms, but a good one can very easily cost more than $1000.

Unfortunately, the only way to protect important data is to have a proper backup plan in the first place; it's as much a basic part of PC ownership as changing the oil in your car is to car ownership or changing the filter in your furnace is to home ownership. When you only store data in one location, the question is when you will lose your data, not if.

I hope that...

DSzymborski

Titan
Sounds like the hard drive is on its last legs as these are all symptoms of a dying hard drive. You can try it in an enclosure on another PC to see if it can be detected.

If you can't get any PC to read the hard drive, then it's a question of how much the data on there is worth to you. There are data recovery firms, but a good one can very easily cost more than $1000.

Unfortunately, the only way to protect important data is to have a proper backup plan in the first place; it's as much a basic part of PC ownership as changing the oil in your car is to car ownership or changing the filter in your furnace is to home ownership. When you only store data in one location, the question is when you will lose your data, not if.

I hope that this is an inexpensive lesson for you and you're able to recover your files. But either way, use this as a learning experience.

Solution

Carol Anthony

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016
I think the first symptom shows a grinding of the drive. I thought it was my other drive after i replaced it with my new HDD i don't hear any grinding or something like a drive crash.

Edit: My hard drive is 7 years old already i think its worth it using.

if it not the drive is can be unclean power. if your rig was locking up the voltage from the power supply may not be good and it causing the drive to reboot/restart. i would pull the drive and place it in another pc or enclosure and pull your data off.

Hello Carol Anthony, what brand is your HDD? If it is a Seagate you could try DIY recovery software.

Carol Anthony

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016

Yes my drive is Seagate sorry for really really long response guys i got upset in many days.

defiantuk

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014
Have to agree its does appear that the Hdd is dying. Best option get new HDD get an OS on it and then plug the dying drive in as a slave and hopefully will allow you to access it and copy what you need off it.

No worries, where you able to work on the DIY software?

Carol Anthony

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016

I pressed the DIY Link and the Software. Diy page is 404.

It worked for me....

https://www.seagate.com/services-software/recover/recovery-software/

Carol Anthony

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016

Oh it works not maybe it got trouble redirecting the page from tomshardware.

Carol Anthony

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016
Sorry for double posting but i had to do it. Well guys my hdd didn't get detected and i selected my main boot on my new hdd and it took so long like 5 mins or more. But i found something interesting i use my phone voice recorder and record it on the top of hdd to hear what is going on. I also had screenshot my hdd wasn't there and the model of my old hdd 500gb is ST500DM002 i got many slaves here but all of them is not working but the only difference of the board are its main ic while the other componets are the same from what i see. https://imgur.com/a/yy7V6li - Picture https://clyp.it/mk4peluo - Audio

Carol Anthony

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016

Well for some reason it got detected on bios LOL and it also boot up my old os and it just freeze at the starting windows the logo animation didn't form to windows then i restarted it again it boots up again and it just stuck there... Well also for some reason my Main Drive Won't boot my main OS its like my slave drive crashing my other drives until i will pull it out the slave drive then my main drive boot up. Is there a way to make my main os to boot up ? maybe i can still recover some data on my old one and the sad thing is that.. i don't have money for data recovery it is very expensive.... I also recorded the audio when my hdd got detected and im not sure if i heared like little clicking i have problem with hearing sometimes or just my mind. I will just upload it tommorow cuz i feel sleepy.

Carol Anthony

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016

I think the power is not problem because my new hdd works fine and its even fast than my old one. Im using GA-F2A68HM-S1 Motherboard and i think i don't have bios update because mine is latest. My old hdd i tried it on the other pc it had also a same symptoms. My slave drive is crashing my second pc main drive.

Carol Anthony

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016
Guys i saw some of information in the internet is that when two hdd had the same os installed it won't boot up because it has a windows data some kind of partition that prevent it from booting yet my hdd still get detected until now what happens if i try ubuntu on usb and just recover some of the files.

DSzymborski

Titan
Again, just stick it in a USB enclosure, connect it by USB *after* bootup and recover it from there. I don't understand your determination to make your systems crawl through having a dying hard drive installed. Right now you're essentially spinning your wheels in the mud and the more you muck around trying to get this hard drive to work normally, the less likely you are to ever recover anything.

Carol Anthony

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016
Nah nevermind. You know what i did ?. I Tried Easeus Data Recovery on My SDCard and My Phone is Samsung S5. Luckily All the pictures was saved in the SDCard after that i recovered most of them but some got corrupt then im still happy because they were only few of them. Then i opened my dead hdd and destroyed the platter XD.