Question Guys, is there something wrong with my motherboard?

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
My computer shut itself down (most likely because AV finished scanning and shut down) and I started my computer up again. Then I thought to investigate the lack of an MSI splash screen a bit more. Rebooted, didn't see the splash screen. Rebooted again, mashing the Delete key to enter BIOS and the board entered BIOS and then it crashed (MSI Fast Boot was enabled).

Untitled
by epic FUZZ, on Flickr

I had to use the reset button on the case.
I turned off Fast Boot and got the splash screen back. Turned it back on and the splash screen went away which makes me wonder why was I seeing a splash screen all this time when MSI Fast Boot has enabled pretty much since day one. All I did was reset the CPU fan curve from default to default and re-enable the smart fan curve and after that I stopped seeing the splash screen.

Also wondering why, when a BIOS update is sent from MSI when I boot after the update, the computer begins booting, shuts off and tries again immediately. Was my board not working correctly from day 1 and I just wasn't aware?

Why did it crash like this? A crash in Windows, I can say who knows, it's Windows, but BIOS is not supposed to do what this did. I do know my keyboard can hold up the motherboard's boot process when it's plugged in.

EDIT: I was able to reproduce it following the exact same steps

Last edited:

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
So the boot order when fast boot is enabled has Hard Disk first as it should, but it says ?? rather than the name of the SSD. I don't remember this happening before.

EDIT: You can see it here
Untitled by epic FUZZ, on Flickr

I can do anything but enter settings when it's like that

EDIT: MSI Fast Boot was the cause. Disabling it and turning on regular fast boot fixed it

Last edited: