H.P. 8 gigs 1Tb

Jul 30, 2019
I made a horrible mistake. I purchased a 17” HP 8g 1Tb laptop in June and spilled juice on it about 2 weeks ago. Best Buy said everything is fried except memory board. They didn’t even clean the juice off when they returned it. I was going to rinse it off and set in rice because I was able to turn it on but the keys are stuck. Do you think I can still save it?
Andisrose

USAFRet

Titan
Rinsing off the outside does absolutely nothing.

You or someone needs to take it apart completely, and actually clean the thing.

But I'd image it is mostly dead.
(one of the few times I'd agree with GeekSquad)

Jul 30, 2019
I made a horrible mistake. I purchased a 17” HP 8g 1Tb laptop in June and spilled juice on it about 2 weeks ago. Best Buy said everything is fried except memory board. They didn’t even clean the juice off when they returned it. I was going to rinse it off and set in rice because I was able to turn it on but the keys are stuck. Do you think I can still save it?
Andisrose
Rinsing off the outside does absolutely nothing.

You or someone needs to take it apart completely, and actually clean the thing.

But I'd image it is mostly dead.
(one of the few times I'd agree with GeekSquad)
Thank you!

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Liquid damage is not covered under warranty and require expertise to repair.

HP probably won't fix this and tell you to replace the components. May be, get it checked at some good local shop and see how it goes.

If you think that the laptop is turning on, there's a possibility that it can be repaired.

If you've been told that the motherboard has fried, it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the RAM, storage and rinse the laptop in water and let it dry for 3 days. Actually, It has to be done with 90% isopropyl alcohol because water can lead to corrosion.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I would not trust anything Best Buy says as far as I could throw one of their "technicians."

I have rescued many a machine from spill aftermath, but you're long past the time where rinsing is even an option.

This will be a tear down effort so that you can assess where the juice went and where it has dried. Given how cheap replacement keyboards are, I would do this as a matter of course if the rest of the computer has not got a flood of juice inside.

HP has service manuals for all its laptops available on their respective support pages. These give step-by-step instructions for disassembling/assembling these devices.