H100i bad temperatures?

AzisTroyanov

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Hey guys, I just got my h100i today and everything is great with the cooler (all fans work, LED's, etc). However, the temperatures are TERRIBLE! I am assuming it is due to my problem in seating it to the CPU, but what else could be the reason for the super high temps?

Motherboard: Z87 MPOWER
CPU: 4670k @ 4.5GHZ 1.3v

I was running the same OC on a Hyper 212 evo and I got up to 95-100C while running Prime95 small FFT which is extremely and dangerously hot, which is why I ordered the H100i.

With the H100i at max max max max fans (super loud) it is at 92 C. I highly doubt that it is only 5-8 C better than a 120MM CPU air cooler... One thing to note is that the backplate is kinda loose and the standoffs don't tighten down to the face of the mobo...

Any tips?

Solution
Use some washers to improve the tightness of the backplate mounting. That's what I did with mine. I'm not sure I'd buy another Hydro series cooler, because the design of the backplate mounting mechanism is overly reliant on thickness provided by the motherboard.
Use some washers to improve the tightness of the backplate mounting. That's what I did with mine. I'm not sure I'd buy another Hydro series cooler, because the design of the backplate mounting mechanism is overly reliant on thickness provided by the motherboard.

Solution

AzisTroyanov

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

I flipped the back plate, against the instructions, and now the screws are very snug into the MOBO. Now prime95 small fft shows 80C tops as temperatures, which is much more reasonable.

Thanks

AzisTroyanov

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, I flipped it so the copper plate on the pump unit has really good pressure on the cpu, now temps are A- OK :)