H100i Dual intake and exhaust in a Corsair 200r?

xxTU_PAPITOxx

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Hey I was just wondering whether or not this was possible or not. I already got the case and ordered extra fans but I'm wondering whether I should get the H100i so i can get a higher overclock on the FX-8320 that I ordered.
Here's the part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/xxTU_PAPITOxx/saved/2zZQzy
Here's the video I saw this in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMqJ0XXmBM8 (Skip to 10:48)
Any and all help would be highly appreciated, or if anyone has this already in their computer let me know how it works :D thanks.

Solution
Your case does have room for an H100i at the top.

Depending on your board you may NOT be able to use push/pull fans because they may hit memory or the VRM cooler.

It is important to note that your board does not have any cooling heatsink on the VRM area, so overclocking should be limited to avoid them getting too hot and throttling the cpu speed.

You may wish to place a fan to cool that area. It can be something as simple as attaching the stock coolers fan to a 90 degree metal bracket and attaching that to the rear fan in the case pointing at the VRM area.
Your case does have room for an H100i at the top.

Depending on your board you may NOT be able to use push/pull fans because they may hit memory or the VRM cooler.

It is important to note that your board does not have any cooling heatsink on the VRM area, so overclocking should be limited to avoid them getting too hot and throttling the cpu speed.

You may wish to place a fan to cool that area. It can be something as simple as attaching the stock coolers fan to a 90 degree metal bracket and attaching that to the rear fan in the case pointing at the VRM area.

Solution

xxTU_PAPITOxx

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

I already have the GPU so would it be better to put more money into the motherboard and just get lets say like a Hyper 212 EVO?

xxTU_PAPITOxx

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

Could you recommend a board that would allow for ok overclocks at around the $80-90 price range that has a cooling heatsink? Or is that rare in this price range?

I am just letting you know that the board is good for upto 140 watts(from Asus. How much depends on many factors). Now they may also expect some cooling from the stock cooler.

The non LE version has some heatsinks on its VRM section that may help, but it is out of the price range.

The 970 Extreme 3 has heatsinks, but it is also lists the vrm airflow is NEEDED.

I just want you to take it easy when overclocking and at least try to get some fan cooling to help it.

xxTU_PAPITOxx

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

Alright well i did order four extra fans so I'll just have to position them correctly, and don't worry I don't plan on going too far on overclocking, and thanks for the help btw, really appreciate it.

I want to point out that the 970 extreme3 is not on my recommended list of overclocking :)

The other Asus board seems solid enough.

Also the H100i should come with an extra cable if you wanted 4 fans to be controlled from it. In my tests on its little brother the H80i(single 120m thickish rad) a second low speed fan(NF-p12) reduced temperatures in the 3-5 area(so not much to write home about). The H80i ships with 2 fans and unless you have a small case is not honestly better than the air coolers you can get for the same price.

You may be able to use those extra fans in a push/pull setup on the 212 if that is still what you are getting. Push/pull improves performance but not by a huge margin.