[SOLVED] H100i v2 grinding-like noise on start up

Feb 2, 2020
I installed the H100i v2 Platinum AIO last Saturday. This morning when I turned my PC on I noticed a grinding like noise that went away in like 4 seconds. I checked the fans and there’s nothing obstructing them. I also changed the pump/fans speed to quiet and extreme using the iCue software to check if I could replicate the noise, but nothing happened.

This is the only thing I’ve changed in my PC recently so it leads me to believe it’s the AIO. Is this normal? Is that the sound of the pump turning on or something?

Solution
It wont go away on it's own. Those sealed systems have very little gas/vapor transfer meaning that fluid can't escape and neither can air. Normally that's a good thing but in your case there's no way to resolve the issue short of an RMA. Since it's a new unit, I would give corsair a chance to correct the issue. It should be under warranty.

If they refuse, about the only solution would be to cut tube a tube drain the unit and add a reservoir and treat it like a very small custom loop. That's full of a lot of unknowns and risk. I don't know of anyone that has done anything like that. Without knowing what metals are used, opens you up to all sorts of corrosion. Very risky not worth it vs buying a new AIO.
Feb 2, 2020
Was it grinding or was it more like sloshing? Also does it happen every time or was it just once?
It was grinding-like. And it happened the two times I turned my PC on today (turned it off after it happened, let it rest for a few minutes, turned it on to see if it did it again and it did).

I would open up the case and put a finger on the pump while it starts. Can you feel it? Can you feel it in the rad too? Maybe the tubes (those are usually covered in mesh, so probably not)?

Some other questions, How is the loop setup? Radiator in front or top mounted? Which side of the pump are the tubes coming out of, top bottom left right? What kind of case?

I suspect there is a bubble in your loop. And it is collecting in the loop somewhere then getting sucked through the pump at start up and either getting stuck somewhere else or the pump is grinding it up till it's too small to make a noise.

Feb 2, 2020
I would open up the case and put a finger on the pump while it starts. Can you feel it? Can you feel it in the rad too? Maybe the tubes (those are usually covered in mesh, so probably not)?

Some other questions, How is the loop setup? Radiator in front or top mounted? Which side of the pump are the tubes coming out of, top bottom left right? What kind of case?

I suspect there is a bubble in your loop. And it is collecting in the loop somewhere then getting sucked through the pump at start up and either getting stuck somewhere else or the pump is grinding it up till it's too small to make a noise.
The radiator is top mounted. The tubes come out of the right side. My case is the Corsair 465X. I also read it could be a bubble of air. Will that be a problem or will it go on its own?

It wont go away on it's own. Those sealed systems have very little gas/vapor transfer meaning that fluid can't escape and neither can air. Normally that's a good thing but in your case there's no way to resolve the issue short of an RMA. Since it's a new unit, I would give corsair a chance to correct the issue. It should be under warranty.

If they refuse, about the only solution would be to cut tube a tube drain the unit and add a reservoir and treat it like a very small custom loop. That's full of a lot of unknowns and risk. I don't know of anyone that has done anything like that. Without knowing what metals are used, opens you up to all sorts of corrosion. Very risky not worth it vs buying a new AIO.

Solution
Tilt the case 90 degree. let it sit for a few sec. Start the computer and listen if the sound goes away. If not try tilting the case on its head if you can. Let it sit for a few sec and start it.

If the sound goes away in any of the cases then it is a trapped air bubble, and there is not mutch you can do exept remount the cooler or RMA it.

If the sound does not stop then try and unplug fans on the cooler and then start the system to check if one of the fans is grinding the rad.