Question h100i v2 Safe Pump RPM

akdetroit

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
I cool my OC'd 8700k with a Corsair h100i v2. It has worked pretty well for about 7 months now, besides being an unwanted space heater in my tiny bedroom. I just have 1 question to anyone who can answer. In the Corsair Link software, there is an option to set the AiO pump to quiet or performance mode. in quiet mode the RPM is 1980 and very quiet. In performance mode the RPM is closer to 2940 and the pump makes an audible noise. I was just wondering which mode is optimal, and If it will harm the lifespan of the pump to leave it at this high speed at all times. Thank you.

Actually, either mode is probably fine. Usually you want full speed pump operation at all times, even and especially if you have variable fan speed operation. It is harder on your pump motor to run at reduced voltage or to continuously be ramping up and down, than it is to run at it at it's full speed setting and leave it that way. Normally, heat considerations aside (Which are probably not much of a consideration for a water pump motor that is actively cooled by it's very nature), it is typically harder on a motor to run at a lower speed from a reduced voltage than it is to run at it's rated full voltage, but many modern motors are designed specifically to accomodate variable voltages so it's probably neither worse nor better for you to use either setting.