[SOLVED] H100iv2 Low Pump Speed and CPU temps at 100*C

lgoodson9

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
Hi all,

I am having some issues out of the blue with my system trying to play games. For a few months it ran no problem crushing games like Battlefield V and Fortnite at max settings 1440p and then randomly I started getting very low frames. For example, in Fortnite I would never drop below 100 frames even in the most intense areas of the map; however, now I sometimes drop into the 30s and I think it is because my CPU cooler might have some messed up settings, or it is dying somehow. My pump seems to be running at 0-500 RPM on extreme mode (maybe that's a sign it's dying or I need to fix something in settings?). I will attach a picture of the temps I'm getting from my BIOS and I will provide any additional info I can if anyone have the time to respond! Thank you!

edit: I have reinstalled thermal paste and reseated CPU 2 times to no avail. I am 99% sure the cooler is installed properly inside the case.

System specs: (all bios settings are default including CPU clock and voltage)

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black
CPU: i7-8700k
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair vengeance 3000MHz DDR4 RAM
MOBO: GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming
PSU: Thermaltake 650 watt Gold certified
HDD/SSD: 2tb HDD, 500GB M.2 sata SSD

7c94ad75dbe6f4bc062b726a6fdd3829.jpg

Solution
I'm assuming that the pump is connected to the CPU_FAN header, correct? That is, after all, the default configuration.
The variable pump speeds is a pretty clear indication that it's not being powered properly. Unfortunately, this also damages the pump over time as well. So you may be at the point where an RMA is your only option. I'd give it a shot.

lgoodson9

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018

I appreciate the response! I did that and the issue remains... When I set it to full speed the temp remained the same and after a few minutes the pump RPM went back down to 0-500 again (vice the normal 1600-ish). Something weird is going on and hopefully if corsair will send me a new unit I will be able to test if the pump has failed or not.

lgoodson9

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018

Thanks, I think it might be the pump. The cooler head seems warm and the tubes are cool and vibrating... I don't know if any of those are good signs or not, but I'm talking to corsair now. Hopefully they can get me a replacement quickly. I'll update if the cooler is the issue!

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
I'm assuming that the pump is connected to the CPU_FAN header, correct? That is, after all, the default configuration.
The variable pump speeds is a pretty clear indication that it's not being powered properly. Unfortunately, this also damages the pump over time as well. So you may be at the point where an RMA is your only option. I'd give it a shot.

Solution