[SOLVED] H150i Elite Capellix 360mm Aio With i9 10900k [FANS TOO LOUD]

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Hi guys, i have the combo above, i9 10900k hooked up with a 360mm Aio Corsair H150i Capellix. And i notice that when im gaming, whatever the game that is (cpu or gpu intensive), my cpu always ramp up to 70+ temps and the aio fans go nuts and it's just annoying as hell..

I tried to creat a custom fan curve but temps go up to 85+ ºC...

• Could it be the stock thermal paste ?
  • It's the fans ?
  • Cpu just runs hot ?

This is my system right now..
My System

Side and bottom intake.
Top exhaust.
Room temperature is above normal too..

Can someone help please ?

Solution
See the post here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...sage-but-high-frequency.3700227/post-22297055
You'll want to pick up Throttlestop. There's a link to it in the post.
Yes, the OP there has a 10700K, but their issue was similar to yours.
FYI, where it says, "Run HWiNFO and look for SST in green.", when you open hwinfo, switch to Summary only to see that illustration just as it's shown in the post.

If you find that Speed Shift isn't enabled, you can enable it by going into bios > Advanced menu > Cpu Config, and scroll down to Cpu Power Management.
[Asus has largely kept their UI the same, so it looks like that on my X299 Deluxe's bios too.]
Your C-state control, Speed Shift, Turbo Mode, and Speed...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"Could it be the stock thermal paste?"
No.

"It's the fans?"
Not directly. See, the motherboard has an emergency, or critical temperature threshold beyond what the cpu has. You can't change or remove it.
That value is either 75C or 80C - I've forgotten exactly which, but when that value is exceeded, your fan curves are ignored.

"Cpu just runs hot?"
Yes, it can. Running high performance power plan, overclocking, and enabling Multi Core Enhancement(MCE) makes it worse.
I see you have an Asus board; they've usually been on top of following the Intel defined specs for the cpu, but doing the above can override that.

Is that a 3090 down there too? You got heat from that hot rod passing through the H150i.
Moving the cooler so it isn't dealing with both the cpu and gpu's heat would help.

-Run balanced power plan
-Remove any overclocks that aren't XMP
-Disable Multi Core Enhancement in bios
-Move the H150i to side intake, and move the former side fans to top exhaust.
[Yes, I know, the cpu's heating up the gpu now? Well, a 10900K doesn't pull 300+ watts of heat on the regular when in use either. It should be a little less 'worse' than how you currently have things set up.]

Last edited:

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Hmmm I see.. Had that option in my mind too (change the radiator position). I just have everything so perfectly managed behind the case that I would just prefer not to try it out., guess I will now.

Only overlock I have is XMP Profile 1 to speed up the rams nothing else..

The gpu is actually a 2080 ti, that would be the same case I guess.

I had considered what you told me about all the heat going through the rad upwards could be the issue but still doubt it because recently I had an 6700k and it was all assembled in the same way and my fans never behaved like this, it's like a freaking jet..

Considering that the 10900k draws much more power I guess it could really be the case now..

I guess i will try out to change the position of the rad and see if it gets better.

Thank for your help, I'll be back with updates about it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, at these rpm's the cpu keeps at 70 while gaming...
Coincidentally right at the border of Thermal Velocity Boost(active up to 70C)...

I didn't change the position tho, it's still at the top...

I'll do it tomorrow maybe.. I dind't do it before because people says that temps change by a little..
1)Ok, I'll keep an eye out on the thread.

2)Can vary based on hardware used, fan positioning, power plans, etc.

Im looking at cpu package tho, don't know if it's the right one..
Cpu package is typically just the hottest core.

That power hungry monster under load will easily reach 90C if Overclocked to 5GHz and the ONLY way (apart from air conditioning) to bring temps down is reducing your Overclock and Vcore. Try to reduce Vcore to 1.35v and limit turbo boost to 4.8GHz using negative offset.

The fans on your cooler are ML so gains won't be got by changing them and your db rating will increase as the fans can get up to 2400rpm. Extra fans for case thruput at the front and a larger 140mm fan at the rear should help especially if a none reference GPU is used. I don't think side mounting the AIO is going to help.

Last edited:

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
That power hungry monster under load will easily reach 90C if Overclocked to 5GHz and the ONLY way to bring temps down is reducing your Overclock and Vcore. Try to reduce Vcore to 1.35v and limit turbo boost to 4.8GHz using negative offset.

The fans on your cooler are ML so gains won't be got by changing them and your db rating will increase as the fans can get up to 2400rpm. Extra fans for case thruput at the front and a larger 140mm fan at the rear should help especially if a none reference GPU is used. I don't think side mounting the AIO is going to help.
The CPU is stock right now. I'm just following other peoples results and I see people playing Assasins Creed with the cpu averaging 55ºC while mine playing Horizon Zero Dawn goes up to 70ºC + and the fans spining like a freaking speed demon. I just want to have a good gaming machine with normal to average noise.

A strange thing happened just now, I realized that my CPU clocks were always at 4.7/4.9 mhz even when I was just browsing on the web and watching a stream (even at "balanced" power settings). It would only clock down at "energy saving" power settings. So I tried playing horizon for 10 mins with those power settings (energy saving) with a fixed rpm on my fans on ICUE set to 1000, and the cpu really stayed below 55ºC . The funny thing happened when i change the preset to "quiet" on ICUE, my fans ramp up to 2000+ rpm even the cpu temperature being 55ºC.. Crazy right ? Dont know what to do honestly..

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I realized that my CPU clocks were always at 4.7/4.9 mhz even when I was just browsing on the web and watching a stream (even at "balanced" power settings).
That's not normal for balanced. 4.8 and 4.9ghz are this cpu's all core turbo speeds when TVB is active/not active.
You did turn off MCE, right?
AI Suite isn't installed? I've not known iCUE to apply any performance profiles.

After 4 hours of gaming these were my average temps..

temps hwinfo
Dang, looks like the collapse arrows from the latest update did more harm than good...
It would've helped to be able to see the temperatures of each core.

Wow, iCUE sounds borked. Perhaps a reinstall will fix it.

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
That power hungry monster under load will easily reach 90C if Overclocked to 5GHz and the ONLY way to bring temps down is reducing your Overclock and Vcore. Try to reduce Vcore to 1.35v and limit turbo boost to 4.8GHz using negative offset.

The CPU is stock right now. I'm just following other peoples results and I see people playing Assasins Creed with the cpu averaging 55ºC while mine playing Horizon Zero Dawn goes up to 70ºC + and the fans spining like a freaking speed demon. I just want to have a good gaming machine with normal to average noise.

A strange thing happened just now, I realized that my CPU clocks were always at 4.7/4.9 mhz even when I was just browsing on the web and watching a stream (even at "balanced" power settings). It would only clock down at "energy saving" power settings. So I tried playing horizon for 10 mins with those power settings (energy saving) with a fixed rpm on my fans on ICUE set to 1000, and the cpu really stayed below 55ºC . The funny thing happened when i change the preset to "quiet" on ICUE, my fans ramp up to 2000+ rpm even the cpu temperature being 55ºC.. Crazy right ? Dont know what to do honestly..

That's not normal for balanced. 4.8 and 4.9ghz are this cpu's all core turbo speeds when TVB is active/not active.
You did turn off MCE, right?
AI Suite isn't installed? I've not known iCUE to apply any performance profiles.

Dang, looks like the collapse arrows from the latest update did more harm than good...
It would've helped to be able to see the temperatures of each core.

Wow, iCUE sounds borked. Perhaps a reinstall will fix it.

Yes I turned off MCE..
I didn't install AL Suite.

I can't figure out what's doing this, it just don't feel normal.

I will try to reinstall it, thanks to both of you guys.

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Did reinstall ICUE, same sh*t, gets noisy very fast. Temps get to 60ºC when opening Destiny 2.

Clocks like this -> clocks

Balanced power settings.

Feels like the fans respond to the whole computer temp and not to the cpu temp, because I hear them ramping up and down while cpu temp is fixed at 60ºC.

Maybe all this is normal, it just feels anormally noisy.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I gotta double back and check some older threads - SOMETHING is making the cpu run at it's all core turbo speeds even when you're not doing anything major.
I assure you, that behavior isn't normal - some of those cores should be running ~1.2ghz when they're not in use.