[SOLVED] H150i Elite Capellix 360mm Aio With i9 10900k [FANS TOO LOUD]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Hi guys, i have the combo above, i9 10900k hooked up with a 360mm Aio Corsair H150i Capellix. And i notice that when im gaming, whatever the game that is (cpu or gpu intensive), my cpu always ramp up to 70+ temps and the aio fans go nuts and it's just annoying as hell..

I tried to creat a custom fan curve but temps go up to 85+ ºC...

• Could it be the stock thermal paste ?
  • It's the fans ?
  • Cpu just runs hot ?

This is my system right now..
My System

Side and bottom intake.
Top exhaust.
Room temperature is above normal too..

Can someone help please ?

Solution
See the post here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...sage-but-high-frequency.3700227/post-22297055
You'll want to pick up Throttlestop. There's a link to it in the post.
Yes, the OP there has a 10700K, but their issue was similar to yours.
FYI, where it says, "Run HWiNFO and look for SST in green.", when you open hwinfo, switch to Summary only to see that illustration just as it's shown in the post.

If you find that Speed Shift isn't enabled, you can enable it by going into bios > Advanced menu > Cpu Config, and scroll down to Cpu Power Management.
[Asus has largely kept their UI the same, so it looks like that on my X299 Deluxe's bios too.]
Your C-state control, Speed Shift, Turbo Mode, and Speed...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
See the post here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...sage-but-high-frequency.3700227/post-22297055
You'll want to pick up Throttlestop. There's a link to it in the post.
Yes, the OP there has a 10700K, but their issue was similar to yours.
FYI, where it says, "Run HWiNFO and look for SST in green.", when you open hwinfo, switch to Summary only to see that illustration just as it's shown in the post.

If you find that Speed Shift isn't enabled, you can enable it by going into bios > Advanced menu > Cpu Config, and scroll down to Cpu Power Management.
[Asus has largely kept their UI the same, so it looks like that on my X299 Deluxe's bios too.]
Your C-state control, Speed Shift, Turbo Mode, and Speed Step are all there - if Speed Step happens to be enabled, disable it. It doesn't need to be on alongside Speed Shift.

If need be, we can try and hail @uWebb429 ...

Phaaze could it be the minimum power state setting @ 100% in his Balanced power plan.
It COULD, but the OP in the thread I linked had already tried that, and it was still doing it.

I kind of wish I had a 10th/11th gen to see what all the crap is with the voltage/power control. My Skylake-X here isn't THAT hard to control.
If MCE is off, there's no Dragon Center or similar running, Windows on balanced power plan... that was usually it. It does not appear to be enough with these new chips.

Solution

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
I gotta double back and check some older threads - SOMETHING is making the cpu run at it's all core turbo speeds even when you're not doing anything major.
I assure you, that behavior isn't normal - some of those cores should be running ~1.2ghz when they're not in use.
It sill require too much fan noise to keep it cool, i set a custom fixed rpm at 1000rpm and im gaming with temps around 70-75ºC, and reached a max of 80ºC. That still isn't related to the all core idle boost right ?

I should have gone amd at this point...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I knew Horizon Zero Dawn uses AVX Instructions at times. I had to look up whether Destiny 2 does or not, and it does.
Short version: at the same frequencies, AVX is faster than the SSE Instructions you normally see the cpu run. Problem is, the voltage and power demands are higher, so it makes the cpu run hotter.

There is an AVX Offset option in the bios. The auto setting is likely at 0 by default. You can try turning that down and see if it helps - if you need a number, try -3.

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Guys, I might sound stupid but I kinda found one thing that could be problematic for the gaming temps and definitely was for the idle clocks. My monitor alienware command center was taking up almost 10% cpu usage from startup.. Found it on the task manager, ended the process and voilá, clocks back to normal again. Temps much better now, idle and in-game... Spiked to 65ºC one time, being 55ºC the rest of the time..

I kinda feel like I lost some fps but it could be me overthinking...

Oh, I also turn Intel Speedstep on bios from (auto) to (enabled)..

I'll give updates if something changes anyway...

Thank you everyone for the help..

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Oh, for crying out loud, this bloatware crap(alienware command center) needs to stop.

Speed SHIFT(superior): Enabled.
Speed Step(inferior): Disabled.
No need to have them both on.
I'll do it then..

I still get spikes to 70ºC sometimes after 2/3 hours playing.. But nothing close to what it was before...

And my fans also keep getting louder with time.. Dont know what to do about this tho...

JCCatI910900K

Prominent
Jun 3, 2021
Hi guys, i have the combo above, i9 10900k hooked up with a 360mm Aio Corsair H150i Capellix. And i notice that when im gaming, whatever the game that is (cpu or gpu intensive), my cpu always ramp up to 70+ temps and the aio fans go nuts and it's just annoying as hell..

I tried to creat a custom fan curve but temps go up to 85+ ºC...

• Could it be the stock thermal paste ?
  • It's the fans ?
  • Cpu just runs hot ?
This is my system right now..
My System

Side and bottom intake.
Top exhaust.
Room temperature is above normal too..

Can someone help please ?

Hey you Guys, I will share my experience here cos I looked for answers and this thread is what google gave me even tho not 100 per cent relevant. So I had this factory applied compound from Corsair on and my temps were something of a concern: with i9 10900K and iCUE H150i Elite Capellix and the cooling set on the pump and the fans to extreme they really quickly sored to 83 or 84 degrees playing Far Cry New Dawn 4k max settings even in a best PC case (lian li 011 dynamic xl with 5 high air flow, high pressure case fans). So I wiped the factory paste and replaced it with arctic mx-4 in a cross pattern with dots in between and guess what, all my temps with the liquid copper head tightly secured are now on average like ... 5 degrees lower across 2 different games now: FCND and Days Gone, so ... I guess the history repeats itself here again, the factory pastes pretty much suck ... Ti summarize: even tho Arctic MX-4 is the average paste it still helps a tonne to replace the factory one with this one :) hope that helps :) cheers

And yeah ... Guys, either you want a quiet system then do not buy the heater guzzler i910900k, go for ryzen, or, if you want the fastest cpu out there and the best cooling then go for intel core i9 10900 k with the elite capellix which is ... yeah, loud as hell, but hey: effective and then have good cooling of these monsters and do not worry and just put on your head phones. My noctua industrial case fan is even louder, I just don't care, I want sufficient cooling.