[SOLVED] H265 does not reduce output file size

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I have a raw video from OBS with 17000 bitrate and did put that onto Davinci resolve 17 and magix/sony movie studio 15, both software have h265 codec support for output as OBS recorded in h264 only. When I create the video file after editing done on both software result file size are almost same. H265 does not reduce bitrate nor compress the output video by any means as far as I see. wikipedia says 720p H265 should able to cut the video half but not happening.

What is wrong? What should I do to get HEVC/H265 actually working?

I also have k-lite codec mega pack installed on my computer if that helps,

Solution
For it to be half the size you have to set the bitrate to half the bitrate of the original.
This doesn't happen automatically, the video editors either use the same bitrate as the input file or use predetermined standards.
Put the bitrate to 8500 and see if the quality is ok.
For it to be half the size you have to set the bitrate to half the bitrate of the original.
This doesn't happen automatically, the video editors either use the same bitrate as the input file or use predetermined standards.

Solution

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019

You may have saved my video editing job, I always thought it happens automatically, I will compress it with Handbrake and will let you know the results, thank you!