H440 Case Cooling

Silent_Storm

Reputable
May 1, 2014
Hello guys,

Just a few questions about cooling in the NZXT H440 Case.

This case comes with four 3 pin fans which are plugged into a fan hub on the back. This apparently has no control what so ever which would leave me with all of my fans running at full blast 24/7.

My question is, does this matter and if so can it be changed?

My mobo (MSI Z87 G45 Gaming) has three 4 pin fan sockets, if I plug in my 3 pin case fans will these be controllable or do I need to buy PWM fans instead?

I take it that if I attempted to plug the fan hub into one socket on the mobo bad things would happen :p

Oh and for a roof outtake SP or AF fans? (Bearing in mind the venting on the H440)

Thanks!

Solution
The stock NZXT fans are rather weak imo. Even without the cages installed they dont push much air. I have 140mm AF's on the Top and rear and PWM versions on the front. This is with a reference r9 290x card which runs pretty hot but this layout of fans have dropped the usual temps dramatically.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
If those 3 pin connectors on your mobo support voltage control, yes. If not, it's going full speed. PWM can control voltages on the fly.

AF on top. Either way, airflow will be a little choked because of the design of the h440. It is a silent designed enclosure afterall. If you intend on keeping the original front fans it shouldn't be too loud regardless.

Silent_Storm

Reputable
May 1, 2014

I will probably test it out temp wise with the stock config and add some Corsair 120mm AF Quiet editions to the top if needed.

NZXT advertises the FNv2 stock fans at 21db which when combined with the sound dampening on the case should be fine even at 100%.

award

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
The stock NZXT fans are rather weak imo. Even without the cages installed they dont push much air. I have 140mm AF's on the Top and rear and PWM versions on the front. This is with a reference r9 290x card which runs pretty hot but this layout of fans have dropped the usual temps dramatically.

Solution