Question H55 enough to cool overclocked GTX 1080 with NZXT G12?

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
Hi guys,

My GPU (EVGA GTX 1080 Classified) is somewhat overheating with the normal heatsink (82°c gaming, 92°c+ synthetic) so I am going to be installing the NZXT G12 with a H55. Only thing I am worried about, is the H55 going to be enough to cool it?

At the moment, the GPU is overclocked and will hit 2050MHz while gaming and will struggle to keep 2000MHz while doing synthetic loads. My case (NZXT S340 Elite) has plenty of airflow (2x SP140 for intake and 2x AF120 for exhaust) with an ambient temperature of 25°c.

I plan on installing the radiator on the rear-exhaust of the case, but I am very worried it wont be enough cooling power to cool the GPU.
I am also worried about the VRMs and VRAM chips. I do plan on buying heatsinks for them, but I do not know what to get.
Also, is there any way I can keep the backplate installed? Really hoping I can...

If there is any more information you need, feel free to comment and I will get back ASAP.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yep that will do the job well. I have cooled cards that make more heat with the G10 bracket and a H55 and kept them below 60'c under load. I would suggest getting an adaptor to run the h55 directly from the psu aswell, as they work best with a constant 12v. You can also knock another 2-3'c under load by having push and pull fans on the radiator of the h55.

For the vram chips and the VRMs get some good quality thermal tape/pad strips and some small heatsinks like these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Easycargo-Aluminium-Heatsink-14x14x7mm-conductive/dp/B079FP1FWR/ref=sr_1_8?crid=29HCNHDR0KFPF&keywords=vrm+heatsink&qid=1556631391&s=gateway&sprefix=vrm+he,aps,120&sr=8-8

I did try the thicker copper heatsinks but it was tough to get them to stay attached due to the weight of them.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
As I've never actually owned a AIO before, you're gonna have to bare with me.

When you say "Run the H55 directly off the PSU" what do you mean by that exactly?
I have got a EVGA CLC 280 ready to be installed for my CPU, but I am still concerned about running into issues with USB headers and fan headers.

For example, how am I suppose to power the H55 fan, and the pump off the GPU or will that need to be connected to the motherboard too? Also, that would mean I would loose my front USB 2.0 ports. I don't really not having USB for the H55 as it will just be used to cool the GPU. If that works.

I'm getting really confused now xD

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
As I've never actually owned a AIO before, you're gonna have to bare with me.

When you say "Run the H55 directly off the PSU" what do you mean by that exactly?
I have got a EVGA CLC 280 ready to be installed for my CPU, but I am still concerned about running into issues with USB headers and fan headers.

For example, how am I suppose to power the H55 fan, and the pump off the GPU or will that need to be connected to the motherboard too? Also, that would mean I would loose my front USB 2.0 ports. I don't really not having USB for the H55 as it will just be used to cool the GPU. If that works.

I'm getting really confused now xD

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shakmods-Molex-Splitter-DarkBlue-Sleeved/dp/B01N1MPDAV/ref=sr_1_6?crid=33VXRVJRF4G1R&keywords=3pin+to+molex+adapter&qid=1556632841&s=gateway&sprefix=3pin+to+,aps,124&sr=8-6

So you can plug the AIO pump directly into a 12v feed from the PSU. Then you just run the fan off the normal fan headers on your motherboard. The problem is that some motherboard headers dont supply a constant 12v if they are set for PWM, which is good for fans, but not good for pumps.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
Only thing I am worried about is if I am running the pump directly off the PSU, would that mean the pump is at a constant 100%? I personally would like to have control over the pump speed, as well as the fan speed and the G12 fan speed.
Is there anyway I can do this? PWM splitter maybe? My perfect scenario would be to have them all running off the GPU fan header for signal but getting power from the PSU. Is that even possible?

I am yet to connect my EVGA CLC 280, but I believe that uses a 4-pin to power the fans and a 3-pin to power the pump and then uses the USB to gain the ability to PWM to pump? Please correct me if I am wrong. I do know my motherboard has a CPU_OPT which is designed to be used to power pumps, so that shouldn't be an issue. Only thing I am worried about is I plan on doing push/pull which is going to be difficult to power of a single 4-pin header. I know it splits when going to the radiator for the 2 included fans, but I was also thinking about using 2 splitters to power all 4 fans. I can only assume that would not work simply because it does not have the power to push 4 fans of a simple fan header.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
My overall plan is to have push/pull for both radiators, but I haven't got a freaking clue how I am meant to pull that off.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-Z97MZ-Gaming 5. That has 5 fan headers, 3 case and 2 CPU. Somehow I want to install my AIO using the CPU headers only.

My H55 pump and fan, and the VRM cooling fan on the G12 I somehow want to get the speed signals from the GPU.

I don't have a clue how I am meant to do either of these and I am starting to panic because I am at work at the moment and I can't look into anything because most things are blocked (LTT and TomsHardware ain't funny enough)

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
You can control the pump if your motherboard has voltage control on the headers, pwm is no good for the pumps. Otherwise I would very much advise to run it at 12v contantly, its not loud and its the fan that makes most of the noise which you can control.

I wouldnt worry about controlling the fan relating to the gpu temp. I used to run the fan at a constant 9v using a noctua low noise adapter and the cooling was plenty even under full load and it was very quiet compared to any graphics card air cooler I have used.

No need to panic, its actually very straight forward. You certainly can run the h55 and fan from the motherboard if you want, I would just advise to run the pump header at 100% if only pwm or 12v if voltage based.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
You can control the pump if your motherboard has voltage control on the headers, pwm is no good for the pumps. Otherwise I would very much advise to run it at 12v contantly, its not loud and its the fan that makes most of the noise which you can control.

I wouldnt worry about controlling the fan relating to the gpu temp. I used to run the fan at a constant 9v using a noctua low noise adapter and the cooling was plenty even under full load and it was very quiet compared to any graphics card air cooler I have used.

No need to panic, its actually very straight forward. You certainly can run the h55 and fan from the motherboard if you want, I would just advise to run the pump header at 100% if only pwm or 12v if voltage based.

I'm almost certain it is specially designed for the use of pumps. On the spec page for it, is says "1 x water cooling fan header (CPU_OPT)" so I am assuming it should be powerful enough for the pump. Right?

And I really wouldn't want to run the GPU stuff of the motherboard. Would it be possible to get a cheap SATA powered fan hub, and then have them all get their signal from the GPU fan connector and simply just use an adapter to go from GPU fan connector to motherboard fan connector?

I think there is something I am not getting here... I'll have to look more closely at the CLC 280 to check how the fans and pump are powered, because looking into it more, apparently the pump connects via USB and 3-pin fan connector and the radiator fans are connected directly to the pump. If this is true, will the internal USB and 3-pin be enough power for the pump and 4 fans?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
I'm almost certain it is specially designed for the use of pumps. On the spec page for it, is says "1 x water cooling fan header (CPU_OPT)" so I am assuming it should be powerful enough for the pump. Right?

And I really wouldn't want to run the GPU stuff of the motherboard. Would it be possible to get a cheap SATA powered fan hub, and then have them all get their signal from the GPU fan connector and simply just use an adapter to go from GPU fan connector to motherboard fan connector?

I think there is something I am not getting here... I'll have to look more closely at the CLC 280 to check how the fans and pump are powered, because looking into it more, apparently the pump connects via USB and 3-pin fan connector and the radiator fans are connected directly to the pump. If this is true, will the internal USB and 3-pin be enough power for the pump and 4 fans?

Yes, you can run the gpu stuff directly off the psu, thats essentially what i have been saying the whole time...

For the CLC 280, it sounds like it will be using usb to power and control the fans, and no doubt has some software for that.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
I think the air duct of your case is also important to ensure that the heat can be discharged from the case.
I am using 7970*2 but with 3 pc fan, but the temperature never goes on 75 degree when playing pubg

My case: NZXT S340 Elite
If I get my way... I will be using the CLC 280 for front-intake and then using the H55 radiator as the rear exhaust and then using a Corsair AF120 at the top for exhaust. I don't think I will have a issue with airflow, epically since my CPU is a Xeon E3-1231-V3 and doesn't give out much heat. I mainly bought the CLC 280 because it was 12 months old, hardly used and £60 and because I am planning on upgrading to Ryzen 3700x when it is released and this cooler will give me plenty of room for overclocking.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
Yes, you can run the gpu stuff directly off the psu, thats essentially what i have been saying the whole time...

For the CLC 280, it sounds like it will be using usb to power and control the fans, and no doubt has some software for that.

When you said running the stuff of the PSU, I thought you was referring to a SATA to fan adapter, not a hub. Lol
All-in-all, there isn't really any other way I can have all the fans powered and still controlled by the GPU, other than using a fan hub, Right?
Also, could you link me to a cheap fan hub that allows PWM signalling and voltage signalling. I believe the GPU fans are powered by PWM.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
When you said running the stuff of the PSU, I thought you was referring to a SATA to fan adapter, not a hub. Lol
All-in-all, there isn't really any other way I can have all the fans powered and still controlled by the GPU, other than using a fan hub, Right?
Also, could you link me to a cheap fan hub that allows PWM signalling and voltage signalling. I believe the GPU fans are powered by PWM.

SATA/Molex to adapter or fan hub it makes no difference.. Its all essentially a splitter.

This adapter takes the pwm signal from the graphics card and changes into the regular 4 pin connector.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EK-Water-B...u+pwm+adapter&qid=1556641381&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Then connect that adapter to this fan hub:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StormPC-Po...s=pwm+fan+hub&qid=1556641465&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Then you have a PWM controlled fan hub, using the signal from the GPUs fan control.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
SATA/Molex to adapter or fan hub it makes no difference.. Its all essentially a splitter.

This adapter takes the pwm signal from the graphics card and changes into the regular 4 pin connector.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EK-Water-B...u+pwm+adapter&qid=1556641381&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Then connect that adapter to this fan hub:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StormPC-Po...s=pwm+fan+hub&qid=1556641465&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Then you have a PWM controlled fan hub, using the signal from the GPUs fan control.

Why is the adapter cable to expensive?! Surly it's cheaper in ebay or something, right? Also, 50cm? Why is it so long? I only need one like 5cm...

Also, how would that fan hub act with the 3-pin connector for the pump?

Thank you RobCrezz, you're being a MASSIVE help!

Last edited:

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Why is the adapter cable to expensive?! Surly it's cheaper in ebay or something, right? Also, 50cm? Why is it so long? I only need one like 5cm...

Also, how would that fan hub act with the 3-pin connector for the pump?

Thank you RobCrezz, you're being a MASSIVE help!

There might be cheaper brands around.

I wouldnt plug the pump into the pwm controlled hub, I would use a separate adapter to the psu (or a motherboard header).

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
There might be cheaper brands around.

I wouldnt plug the pump into the pwm controlled hub, I would use a separate adapter to the psu (or a motherboard header).

I can't any other adapters, other than one on ebay but I think it does it the wrong way (PC fan to GPU fan) Click here

Also, any reason in particular I can't connect the pump to the hub? Is there anyway I can use the GPU to control the pump?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
I can't any other adapters, other than one on ebay but I think it does it the wrong way (PC fan to GPU fan) Click here

Also, any reason in particular I can't connect the pump to the hub? Is there anyway I can use the GPU to control the pump?

You can try but pumps dont always work well with PWM. Why do you want to control the pump speed? its better to have it running constantly at 12v.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
Thats what it is designed to do, the pumps like on the h55 are meant to get a constant 12v.

yes the other adapter was not right.

Fair enough.
I might just connect the pump to a SATA to 3-pin converter, although I would like it connected to that fan hub.

Also, I've got some cooper heatsinks for the memory on Amazon, I don't suppose you could find anything suitable to cool the VRMs too? I've tried looking but I don't seam to find anything that looks like it small enough. If not, on eBay would be fine.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Fair enough.
I might just connect the pump to a SATA to 3-pin converter, although I would like it connected to that fan hub.

Also, I've got some cooper heatsinks for the memory on Amazon, I don't suppose you could find anything suitable to cool the VRMs too? I've tried looking but I don't seam to find anything that looks like it small enough. If not, on eBay would be fine.

yeah I used the same small heatsinks for the VRMs aswell, just make sure you use decent thermal tape/pads so they dont fall off.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
yeah I used the same small heatsinks for the VRMs aswell, just make sure you use decent thermal tape/pads so they dont fall off.

I don't suppose you could link me to some VRM heatsinks? I cannot find any which I believe are small enough. Also, some which have the thermal adhesive would be good too.

Sorry for being a pain!

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014