[SOLVED] H80i fans and pump no detected

Jul 31, 2019
I've recently moved my old system from the Asus Z97k to the mini-itx version Z97i-Plus. The only thing now is that the fans and pump aren't detected in corsair link, and they are spinning much quicker and louder than I would like. I've tried everything to get them detected with no success. Updated Bios for the mobo, uninstall corsair link and reinstalled it and tried with previous versions. The weird thing is that when I install older versions the temps of the M.2 drive and SSD appear whereas on the latest one neither appears. Windows 7, tried different cable from cooler to mobo and the mobo has only one usb header.

Solution
You did disable cpu_fan header control? Sometimes if CL sees the header is bios controlled, it'll not over-ride bios, so won't show up.

CL can also have issues with windows UAC, so you may need to setup a windows task to have it start at boot, just opening it won't have activated some of the startup drivers.

2200rpm sounds about right for a pump. They'll usually range from 2k-4k ish, depending on the pump and any voltage settings applied.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
To connect the H80i system there are three cables involved but FOUR connections.

One cable goes from a socket on the pump and ends in a wide connector that must plug into a SATA power output from the PSU - this provides power for the system. That same cable has a 3-pin female (with 3 holes) connector on the end of a branch and this REALLY should plug into the mobo CPU_FAN header, even though the instructions say "any header". This line is solely to send to the mobo the speed signal of the pump. The CPU_FAN header pays special attention to the speed of whatever is plugged into it and monitors it for FAILURE (no speed signal). If failure happens it takes quick action to send out alarms, and SOME mobos will shut down the system rapidly without waiting for the internal temperature sensor in the CPU chip to show a high temp. See your mobo manual p. 3-7. Choose the CPU_FAN header and set it at upper right to use PWM Mode, and at the bottom to Standard. Then check whether the BIOS is showing a pump speed reading on the CPU_FAN header. Of it is not, then either the pump is not running or the entire pump electronics has failed. If you make any change here, use the Esc key to return to the Main Menu, then F10 to access the Exit menu and be sure to SAVE and EXIT.

A second cable from a socket goes to the only mobo USB2 header you have. You might be wise to go into Windows Device Manager and check to be sure that the USB system does have its device drivers installed and there is no yellow caution triangle on it. Also look carefully whether or not the Corsair system shows up there as a USB device. if it is NOT there, try using the top menu tools to force a re-scan of your system to try to detect the Corsair stuff on the USB header.

Lastly, the H80i system comes with a fan Splitter. You MUST plug that into another socket on the pump and then connect both rad fans to that Splitter. This is how the iCue or Corsair Link software can control the speeds of the fans and read their speeds to display. By the way, check with Corsair Tech Support. They have added iCue software more recently, so I don't know if you are still supposed to use the older Link utility with the H80i, or download and install i Cue.

If things do not work properly, by default the system will run the pump and fans at full speed so you DO get max cooling and protect your CPU. But to get proper control of cooling by changing the rad fan speeds you need Link or iCue working, and of course that means the software must detect the H80i components.

Jul 31, 2019
Hi thanks for all the help. I've got all the cables in the right places, checked BIOS and got PWM setup and also upgraded to Windows 10, still no success. Only thing that doesn't appear is Corsair system in the device manager under the usb dropdown. (no yellow triangles and drivers updated). Any idea of how to get it there? Also the pump is plugged into the cpu fan header on the mobo but its showing as 2200+ rpm but thats it, not sure if thats right?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
When you have Windows' Device Manager open, click on any item (top line is OK). In my Windows (yours may be slightly different), along the top menu bar is an "Action" item. Click on that and then choose the "Scan for New Hardware". This will force a complete scan of your system for hardware items not yet recognized, and that should find the Corsair device, then try to load its correct device driver. If this works, that new device will show up in the Device Manager lists somewhere with NO Yellow Triangle flag on it. That would mean that Windows recognizes it and can use it, so then the Corsair software utility should be able to find it, too. If it still does not, un-install the Corsair software, reboot, then re-install it to give it a chance to detect that device that Windows DOES recognize.

Regarding pump speed, I cannot find a spec for that. It is good, though, that the CPU_FAN header does get a speed reading, and that value is reasonable. It should not change - the pump speed is supposed to be full speed always.

Jul 31, 2019
When you have Windows' Device Manager open, click on any item (top line is OK). In my Windows (yours may be slightly different), along the top menu bar is an "Action" item. Click on that and then choose the "Scan for New Hardware". This will force a complete scan of your system for hardware items not yet recognized, and that should find the Corsair device, then try to load its correct device driver. If this works, that new device will show up in the Device Manager lists somewhere with NO Yellow Triangle flag on it. That would mean that Windows recognizes it and can use it, so then the Corsair software utility should be able to find it, too. If it still does not, un-install the Corsair software, reboot, then re-install it to give it a chance to detect that device that Windows DOES recognize.

Regarding pump speed, I cannot find a spec for that. It is good, though, that the CPU_FAN header does get a speed reading, and that value is reasonable. It should not change - the pump speed is supposed to be full speed always.

Just tried all of that with no success, nothing corsair appears in the device manager but when I go to action > scan for hardware changes, I don't get any updates or results :(

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You did disable cpu_fan header control? Sometimes if CL sees the header is bios controlled, it'll not over-ride bios, so won't show up.

CL can also have issues with windows UAC, so you may need to setup a windows task to have it start at boot, just opening it won't have activated some of the startup drivers.

2200rpm sounds about right for a pump. They'll usually range from 2k-4k ish, depending on the pump and any voltage settings applied.

Last edited:
Solution