H80i letting the CPU reach 95+ degrees C???? Panic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogocatman

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Built my next PC today (fairly familiar with it all now)
Installed everything as it should (as far as I'm, aware)

Ran 'Prime95' a long with 'Real Temp GT' to measure the temperature of the CPU whilst it is under load. The readings indicate that the CPU shoots straight over 90 degrees C in just a few seconds so obviously I shut it off immediately.

Components:
i7 4790k (not overclocked)
MSI GTX 970 (not overclocked)
Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
Cosair Vengeance Pro 8GB
Corsair H80i
RM550

Any advice is appreciated in advance :)

Either the pump is not running, you used too much or too little thermal paste, do not have correct mounting pressure on the water block or you're using the wrong version and stress test in Prime 95. You should be using version 26.6 and not newer versions. You should be running small FFT as the stress test.

Prime v26.6: http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.html

The MOST likely reason would be that the pump is not running. This is extremely common. It may be a faulty pump or you may not have it connected correctly. It should be connected to the CPU or CPU optional fan header on the motherboard. Double and triple check the manual or google the installation on youtube.

gogocatman

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

I put the CPU fan lead into the CPU OPT section booted up and it said error, back into CPU FAN and no issues but its still running very hot. I ran Real Tempt GT when I was playing Guild Wars 2 and it said heats of up to 95 degrees C!!!!! I'm getting very cautious :( How do I know if the pump is working?

Where are the radiator fans connected? I'd connect the radiator fans to either CPU or CPU opt and the PUMP, to the other. Either one should work for either one. You might be able to put a finger on the water block and see if the pump is running. Is the pump in the water block on your unit or is it divorced and at the radiator? I though they were in the water block on the H80i.

gogocatman

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
The CPU fans are connected to a splitter that goes from 2 fans into an adapter that plugs into the pulp/box on top of the CPU. I placed a finger on the water pump or block...I can feel small vibrations however i'm not sure if these vibrations are from the fans. And then we have a SATA power and CPU fan cable plugged into the CPU Fan header. It makes me worried because it idles as high ast 40oC.+++++

gogocatman

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

YOU'RE A LEGEND THANK YOU SO MUCH! I unplugged the splitter from the pump, plugged one of the fan leads into CPU OPT and booted it up and now I have really low temps but have one of the other fan connected to the case fan port as there isnt 2 CPU OPT. So my best bet is to get a two, 4 pin adapter into a single 4 pin adapter? and then reconnect that to the CPU OPT?

gogocatman

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

you too man :) thank you ever so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.