H80i thermal compound or Arctic silver 5?

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Hi, I just bought H80i cooler to replace my broken H80. I had all this time arctic silver 5 on my i7 3930k instead of H80 embedded thermal compoud. Is it better this time to place the H80i with its own thermal compound or should i clean it and apply Arctic silver 5 again?
thank u

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
That would be my next question :)
Should i use Link software? Is it stable and not buggy? For example with H80 (my previous waterblock) i didnt connect my fans on it. I connect em to the motherboard so i can control em through AI suite straight from my motherboard. AI suite has a lot of other issues, but at least the Fan Xpert software is very descent for controlling my fans. Do you think Corsair link worths the shot or i should connect fans as I had em with H80?
Thank you

That is up to you. Corsair link seems to save settings in the unit it self. I made some setting changes and on reboot even without the software running, They settings still worked(lower fan speed and a different LED color to show things have been changed).

I personally do prefer the way my board deals with fan control as it is more easy to setup, but once you have a setting you like in Link, you can just close it and never open it again.

I did notice that on one open of link(wanted to see the cold plate temp with the board controlling the fans), it did shut the LED's off, not a big deal[I have no window to see the leds anyway], but it may have some minor bugs.