H87-Pro vs Z87-Pro

nougain

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
I am identifying components for my "High-End Performance Non-Serious-Gaming PC" something that remains relevant for next 5 years. I am neither a gamer nor I intend to do stuff like overclocking but still I do not want my config to have major restrictions. Yes I would like to play games and watch movies but neither I am anywhere closer to die-hard gamers nor that is the intended principal use of the PC. I would be doing tons of MS office, Software Development and general home pc stuff on it - apart from games and movies - and I want all of that to work super fast and in real good quality. Also, I am looking for ease of use and connectivity -- Private Home Cloud, Connect Windows 8 Desktop Environment through Remote Desktop from any device, and likewise features.

That said, I am finding it difficult to decide between ASUS H87-PRO and Z87-PRO.

(1). Is it worth going for Z87-PRO with ~70% extra cost in favor of features like Wi-Fi GO! and SLI (with 2 PCIex16 graphics card)? Note: Currently I have selected ZOTAC NVIDIA GPU.

(2). I do not know much about OC and I do not intend to exploit it (and thats why I have opted for non-K CPU), are there other benefits of Z87-PRO over H87-PRO that I am not aware of which can help me in future, like SLI?

(3). Does Z87-PRO has better performance and reliability compared to H87-PRO and if yes then that is why ASUS has priced it 70% higher?

(4). Why H87-PRO is not good enough if I go for CrossFire compatible GPU right now and live without Wi-Fi GO! feature? H87-PRO supports only CrossFire. Are there alternative solutions to create a Hotsopt with H87-PRO just like one can do with Z87-PRO?

Please help me in reaching a decision. Many Thanks.

Gttrz97

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
if you didnt bought 2 gfx cards then you can opt out for Z87 cause you maybe dont even need wifi for computer unless you are connected most time with cable net, and it crossfire is only for AMD Gpus, whilist SLI is only for nVidia ones and it sure is cracking nut for such thing as choosing between quality vs price. And always check reviews for these motherboards at Newegg.com before you start to buy even!

nougain

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
No, I have not bought any component yet. Separately, because of "Wi-Fi GO!" feature I am tempted towards Z87-PRO.

Can someone please respond to my above 4 questions? Thanks.