CJM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002

What kind of hacks are being used in the field?

I generally go on secured servers, so I expect all players to be hack-free,
but I'm not sure if they all are.

There are some really good players out (I guess I'm about average, maybe
slightly better), but some other guys just seem to be TOO good. Every so
often I run across a guy who pops round a corner and fires a single shot to
the head. Or guys that seem to know you are there before you see/hear them.
I've even had some guys who just didnt seem to die even with a pt-blank shot
to the head!

Now I know in many of these cases, it will simply be good players using good
techniques; know where people are likely to be, always firing at
head-height, controlled bursts rather than spraying, teams giving away enemy
positions via teamspeak etc... but I don't believe that some of these guys
are on the level...

I know there are wall-hacks and aim-bots etc... but what else is out there?
And what are the chances of these guys getting spotted on a secured server?
Are we confident in the reliability of VAC2?

This is not sour grapes. Some guys are just THAT good, and I have plenty of
off-days when I'm walking with a target symbol pinned to my head. But are
they all that good?

Anyone have opinions/explanations/other experiences?

Chris

--
cjmnews04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk
[remove the obvious bits]

"CJM" <cjmnew04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Anyone have opinions/explanations/other experiences?

I have been playing cs for 5 years or so, and cs:s since it was released.

I have never seen a cheater on VAC2 secured server, ever. And yes, I am
capable of spotting them.

Its more likely they are just better than you, none of what you mentioned
sounds like cheating to me.

I've been playing cs since 2001 and cs:s since it was released.

Like Lief I consider myself a capable player, and I often myself get called
a cheater of FFA.
But I do not agree with Lief that there are definitely no cheaters in cs:s.
I am no whiner, but I havo no doubt that I have been playing with a few
cheaters a couple of times.

/Morten

"Morten Lassen" <nospam@mortenlassen.dk> wrote in message
> I've been playing cs since 2001 and cs:s since it was released.
>
> Like Lief I consider myself a capable player, and I often myself get
called
> a cheater of FFA.
> But I do not agree with Lief that there are definitely no cheaters in
cs:s.
> I am no whiner, but I havo no doubt that I have been playing with a few
> cheaters a couple of times.

I am good but there are plenty of people much much better.

I have never seen a cheat in cs:s ever, and I dont think I am that lucky as
to have just avoided them all by chance.

If there were people cheating, I wouldnt hesitate to say so, but I have seen
none. Plus I have never suspected someone is a cheat, you can tell
instantly from first person spec mode.

NB: You do get people cheating, but its nothing to do with CS:S or VAC2,
unfortunatley there is no way to stop people using out of game Voice, to
communicate even when dead, this kind of cheating goes on all the time, and
can make it seem like someone is wallhacking etc.

Morten Lassen committed to the eternal aether...:

> But I do not agree with Lief that there are definitely no cheaters in cs:s.
> I am no whiner, but I havo no doubt that I have been playing with a few
> cheaters a couple of times.

On VAC2 servers?
--Damo

CJM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002

Actually, last night I had a demo of 2 hacks (a wall hack and a speed hack)
on a VAc2 server plus an amusing rampage by an admin who set noclip on!

Not sure what actual hacks they were but the admin demo'd them and to proove
to all watching that some hacks can get past VAC2.

However, it doesnt really matter. There is nothing I can do about it even I
was sure there were working hacks in the field. And it's not bad enough to
stop me playing....

And there are enough better players out there that I end up dead quick
enough anyway...

"CJM" <cjmnew04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> What kind of hacks are being used in the field?
>
> I generally go on secured servers, so I expect all players to be
> hack-free,

your expectations are too high.. there are a lot on undetectable hacks still
out there and being used regularly..

Welcome to counter hacked.........

> Actually, last night I had a demo of 2 hacks (a wall hack and a speed
hack)
> on a VAc2 server plus an amusing rampage by an admin who set noclip on!

send me the demo, tallbloke30@hotmail.com, email me there and i'll give you
the proper addy to send it to.

I dont believe it right now though.

CJM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002

"Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com> wrote in message

> "CJM" <cjmnew04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Actually, last night I had a demo of 2 hacks (a wall hack and a speed
> hack)
>> on a VAc2 server plus an amusing rampage by an admin who set noclip on!

I meant someone demonstrated what they claimed was a wall-hack & a
speed-hack that isn't currently detected by VAC2. I know nothing else about
it, and whatever they did, I've no intention having that kind of stuff
anywhere near my PC.

I'm not asking you to take this as conclusive proof of anything; it was just
an incidental story. It's hard to draw solid conclusions until you have your
hands on the offending tools, and I have no intention of doing that.

CJM

"F1ST" wrote in message

> But, then again... anyone who plays the same game for 5 YEARS can't be
that
> smart...........

Probably smarter than the person who wastes his time with "you're a dick"
postings which have everyone laughing at him without him realising it.

"G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote in message
<snip>

Nice post mate, worded with more patience than I can manage these days :)

CJM committed to the eternal aether...:

> What kind of hacks are being used in the field?
>
> I generally go on secured servers, so I expect all players to be hack-free,
> but I'm not sure if they all are.
>
> There are some really good players out (I guess I'm about average, maybe
> slightly better), but some other guys just seem to be TOO good. Every so
> often I run across a guy who pops round a corner and fires a single shot to
> the head. Or guys that seem to know you are there before you see/hear them.
> I've even had some guys who just didnt seem to die even with a pt-blank shot
> to the head!
>
> Now I know in many of these cases, it will simply be good players using good
> techniques; know where people are likely to be, always firing at
> head-height, controlled bursts rather than spraying, teams giving away enemy
> positions via teamspeak etc... but I don't believe that some of these guys
> are on the level...
>
> I know there are wall-hacks and aim-bots etc... but what else is out there?
> And what are the chances of these guys getting spotted on a secured server?
> Are we confident in the reliability of VAC2?
>
> This is not sour grapes. Some guys are just THAT good, and I have plenty of
> off-days when I'm walking with a target symbol pinned to my head. But are
> they all that good?
>
> Anyone have opinions/explanations/other experiences?

Many people are better than me, I've seen them at LANs doing inhuman stuff
(standing behind them). Some people are just really good at this kinda
thing.

kyle

| CJM committed to the eternal aether...:
|
| >Or guys that seem to know you are there before you see/hear them.
| > I've even had some guys who just didnt seem to die even with a
pt-blank shot
| > to the head!

I wondered one day why the shot registration seemed so poor at times
with CS, so I setup a machine as a server with a single player, and
fired up a second CS machine on my LAN, and tested shot registration
from many angles at the stationary target (the unmanned CS client).
Turns out I could shoot directly at the head (slightly off center aim,
but the head "graphical" target was still in the xhair and the bullet
path DID track the xhair location) from certain angles and not
register the hit, so the program itself is a bit shy of perfection
when it comes to hit box detection. This was done with CS 1.6.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gareth.hardy1/CSvid.wmv
> (warning - 8.5 MB) and tell me honestly that if you'd been the victim of
his
> kills on DE_DUST2 (at about the two minute mark in the video), you would
NOT
> have accused him of wallhacking,

Well to me, the guy in that player is a competent but not amazingly skilled
player, you cant see the lead ups to the kills, or hear the sound. But its
obvious even without those he is defintley not hacking, you would be able to
ascertain this from a few mins first person spectating.

I'm probably a better player than that guy, on a good day, and there are far
far better players than me out there (at 26 my reflexes are slowing a
little, and I rely more on prediction / map knowledge / experience for kills
these days.)

At the end of the day, if you aint having fun on a server, there is no point
complaining, no one will care, just leave.

Miller

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2001

*Lief* wrote on 27.09.05 18:14:

> [..snip..]
> At the end of the day, if you aint having fun on a server, there is no point
> complaining, no one will care, just leave.

Really wise words mate! The essence of the whole thread.

bye, Miller

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote in message
> "CJM" <cjmnew04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> > I have never seen a cheater on VAC2 secured server, ever. And yes, I am
>> > capable of spotting them.
>>
>> But how do you know? :)
>
> In short - you don't.
>
> Check out the video at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gareth.hardy1/CSvid.wmv
> (warning - 8.5 MB) and tell me honestly that if you'd been the victim of his
> kills on DE_DUST2 (at about the two minute mark in the video), you would NOT
> have accused him of wallhacking,
>
> It's a great video. I watch it every time I consider accusing anyone of
> cheating.

Erm... I don't really think those guys are all that hot - he even shot at a
team-mate at one point. I've seen a hell of a lot sharper playing than that...
very few one shot kills in there too.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Miller" <wurstwasser@gmx.org> wrote in message
> *Lief* wrote on 27.09.05 18:14:
>
>> [..snip..]
>> At the end of the day, if you aint having fun on a server, there is no point
>> complaining, no one will care, just leave.
>
> Really wise words mate! The essence of the whole thread.
>
> bye, Miller

No, the essence of the thread was...

"What kind of hacks are being used in the field?"

Lief doesn't know because he believes that none are. The OP wasn't complaining -
he was asking the above question. I can understand Lief feeling tired of being
accused of cheating - although personally, when I'm accused of cheating in TFC,
I take it as a compliment.

Also, a decent admin should, IMHO, attempt to maintain the server appropriately.
If it's a noob server then any really hot players should be politely asked to
move on, else you'll end up losing your target "customers" - the noobs. If, on
the other hand, it's an elite server then fair enough - noobs beware - anyone
bleating "cheat, cheat" should be asked to remove themselves to a server more
aligned to their apparent skills.

McCloudb182

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
I didnt even real all of the post..

but.

leif..

there are cheaters in every version of cs.

EVERY version.

vac2 is great, but...vac2 ALLOWS ppl to cheat for a certain period of time and then bans them....if the def. has been updated with that ban..

its a good feature though, delayed banning is its name....so im not knocking it..

but there are cheaters.

ArbY

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
There are definitely cheats for CS:S.

Many times I've encountered a player that has a speed-hack, an aimbot or a wall-hack. I had a few demos of cheaters too, but with my previous reformat, alas I have none.
VAC2 isn't an insta-ban system. Going along with what the previous poster said, it's a delayed penalty -- about two weeks before the ban kicks in.
If any of you guys out there believe in these "VAC2-proof" cheats, well it's your Steam account ... do as you want. I'm definitely not willing to wager my $60 Half-Life 2 Silver Edition account against what some illegitimate site says about an illegitimate hack.
Not that I'm even interested in using cheats in the first place.

So there are hacks for CS:S that do function in the game. Whether or not those users who abuse the system get caught by the system 2 or so weeks later is an issue I don't have an answer for. We never seem to hear from them again.
There aren't really any large hack/cheat user groups for CS:S at this point. This fact alone leads me to think that VAC2 does its job nicely.