Discussion Hackintosh for Gaming/Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axlebomb

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Hey all. I recently acquired a 2009 Mac Pro from my work for free because they were trashing it. I believe it may have been due to the faulty hard drive and the IT department didn’t know what it was. So trashed the hard drive and installed windows 10 onto the computer. I let windows 10 driver up itself and become compatible with the system and after doing so I realized I had a pretty decent rig. So I threw some extra ram in it and a GPU and was wondering if this computer could run PubG at 60fps (low, medium, high, ultra. Either one doesn’t matter lol)
The specs are:

-Intel Xeon e5620 2.6ghz Quad core
10GB 1600mhz ram
500GB 7200rpm HDD WD
EVGA GTX660 2GDDR5 SC

PS. Would it help to run PUBG on a 160GB Intel SSD?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
An SSD might improve load times, but otherwise wouldn't impact gaming performance.

That's an 8 year old CPU and a 6 year old GPU that was only midrange when it came out. I wouldn't expect great performance out of it.

You might be able to work around a weak GPU by using low resolution/settings, but I don't know what sort of performance that CPU is capable of.

Axlebomb

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
I guess we will have to see lol. I will run some benchmarks tonight and post them so we both know. If it completely bombs... al well. If it runs better than I expect, awesome we both learned something.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
in the spirit of learning something new. "hackintosh" actually refers to installing mac os on non apple hardware. ie a home made pc or other windows machine.

installing windows on a mac is nothing special since it is designed for and allowed to be done easily and with mac support :)

Axlebomb

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Wow I didn’t know that haha. I guess I used that terminology just so people understand it was a Mac running Windows. Also, I ran an indie FPS called Insurgency and it ran at 85FPS average with 55fps lows at high settings. I’ll see how PubG runs when it gets finished downloading

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
just thought i'd share some knowledge :)

hackintosh is actually a lot of fun to do if you don't mind getting down and dirty with getting drivers to work and many many other issues. i have mac os running on an old dell xps 420 and it was rather simple but newer hardware can be tricky to get it working.

Axlebomb

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Well my dear internet friends, the Mac Pro has spoken! And here are the results/gaming performance:

PubG - 55fps/average|75fps/highs|34fps/lows
Medium/low graphics @ 1080p
Insurgency-
80fps/average|110fps/highs|50fps/lows
High/medium graphics @ 1080p

I was shocked at the results. Honestly I am very happy and excited that I was able to achieve these results haha! I guess we all learn something new everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.