Hackintosh-friendly Dell Mini 9 Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.

skadeet

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
the mini 9 is still being sold, but it's now branded as the Vostro A90. same hardware just the 'palm rest/track pad' piece is black instead of silver like the mini 9. but who knows how long that will last.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
So if you buy Mac OS X for $100 and a mini 10v for $300, you get a $400 macbook after some hacking and tweaking?
I can already see tears of rage on the pristine white keyboard of a macbook white, hear moans of despair in an Apple boardroom and read some inane "You'll only do that because you're not cool/hip/trendy/flush with disposable cash and devoid of ideas/ to buy a real macbook".

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]mcnuggetofdeath[/nom]Oh Noes!!! Ppl might have to learn to use an infinitely more customizable, stable, and free OS. ^^^ Linux Mint[/citation]

Mint is a beautiful thing... I highly recommend!

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]mcnuggetofdeath[/nom]Oh Noes!!! Ppl might have to learn to use an infinitely more customizable, stable, and free OS. ^^^ Linux Mint[/citation]

an infinitely more useless than osx... the state of linux apps being atrocious at best... sure it's stable because all the software for it is archaic to say the least. if you're fine with super minimalist desktops... linux is for you!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Wait a minute, the 9" notebook was 1024x600, but the 10" notebook is 1024x576? This is why computers monitors SHOULD NOT be in a 16:9 ratio. It makes sense for TVs, cause thats the ratio used by the TV programming, but for computers, its just pointless. And no, I don't care if you only use your computer and monitor for watching DVDs, you wasted your money, get over it. I can watch movies just fine on my 16:10, I don't even notice the black bars.

[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Wait a minute, the 9" notebook was 1024x600, but the 10" notebook is 1024x576? This is why computers monitors SHOULD NOT be in a 16:9 ratio. It makes sense for TVs, cause thats the ratio used by the TV programming, but for computers, its just pointless. And no, I don't care if you only use your computer and monitor for watching DVDs, you wasted your money, get over it. I can watch movies just fine on my 16:10, I don't even notice the black bars.[/citation]

minimalist desktop, have you used KDE 4.2

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Pathetic replacement...
Larger screen but worse resolution.
For any functional purpose, to me the resolution wins. My eyes are good enough.

I am honestly more interested in the mini 9...

G

I picked a 9 when they were on sale for $200. Upgraded to the 8gb ssd, so it was about $240 after tax and shipping. Worked great out of the box with a dell modded Ubuntu 8.04 installed. For internet, email, youtube, ect. its a wonderful thing.

To the guy that said, "an infinitely more useless than osx... the state of linux apps being atrocious at best... sure it's stable because all the software for it is archaic to say the least. if you're fine with super minimalist desktops... linux is for you!"

Wow, just wow. If you haven't already reproduced, don't. With comments like that your kids will be destined to ride the short bus.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I've got a mini 9 with built in (I built it in) gps, touch screen, internal 8GB microSD reader/card, and bluetooth. Waiting on ssd prices to drop to get a 32GB ssd. Best laptop I've owned for functionality. Still use my Lenovo R60 for heavy work, but the mini 9 is perfect for travel and working from the bed/couch. And with my work verizon air card, I can use it anywhere.

skadeet

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
your horizontal field of vision is far greater than your vertical field of vision, i believe that's why wide screen has become the standard.

lumpoco

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I'm more interested in the Studio 14....mainly because I had "asked" them to come up with something that was between the Studio 15 and 17. They didn't listen, but I suppose for Dell 14" is the same as 16". Lol! Of course I had also asked them to discontinue using the 9400M on their laptops. That GPU has been causing Dell customers a ton of headaches. I'm not a fan of ATI, but if I'm going to buy a Dell I will choose one that uses that GPU. It's no fun having to RMA a laptop during finals week when your laptop screen "dies" or to get another laptop with another defective GPU and have to RMA that as well. I was tempted to buy a dell Mini 9. A friend had offered to convert it to a Mac, but I declined. Somehow the idea of using a laptop with only 32GB (SSD) and 1GB RAM was not as exciting even if I was able to legally acquire Leopard for $30. You got to love the family pack license scheme. I wish Microsoft would do that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.