Discussion Hackintosh legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm...
I was passing by on a computer shop just this morning and saw a boxed copy of a MAC OS X 10.6.3., it costs about €144 for 1 pc.
I am gonna get myself a new mobo, proc, and ram next year, which mean I have at that time a proc, mobo and ram lying around waiting to get dumped in trash can or be used for something else.
My bro have sent my old HD3850 back to me because he has bought a GTX470. This means I have also a GPU.
All I need is only case, HDD, keyboard, mouse and PSU (not much to buy)

I began to think ...perhaps I can use those for a hackintosh system...
I wanna start learning how to do that by reading in some websites...but..
The question, before I waste my time reading, is :

"Is it legal to hack and modify the MAC OS so that it can run on pc? if I can get it to run."

daship

Distinguished
I make em all the time, its rather easy with the correct hardware, other hardware can be a mess. ATI is not very friendly atm, especially 3850. Your motherboard isn't one of the easy ones either.

I would build a cheap rig to sell on ebay with windows, and build the new one to dual boot, if you want osx. By the way, the $29 upgrade disc will do a install just fine.

@soulbrotha80 and mindless728 :I don't wanna brake rules but braking a contract is fine by me...hehehehe.. I ain't gonna sell it anyway.

@daship : hmmm...perhaps I should sell my components on e-bay and get the cheapest hardware for Hackintosh, I don't know what I am gonna do with those anyway. I do wanna learn how to make a Hackintosh system, so. I am a newbie in Hackintosh that is why I will need the easy stuff first.
Hmmm...really? The upgrade disc will do just fine? I can get the upgrade disc less than €50 here, but the boxed one costs €144.
The upgrade disc will save me lots of money, about €100.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
The Gigabyte EP45-UD3P is a very mac friendly board, the only thing you will need to get for it is a Pci lan card that works with make.... Nvidia cards do make it easier to install if you want to install from a retail disc you buy.

Good luck with your build.

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
well hackintoshes actually do fare better than actual macs :bounce: there are many instances wehere the geek bench results far outweigh any mac pro!!!!

although it is bending the rules.... just dont try to sell it...that will get u into trouble.... enjoy ur hackntosh.....u will never go back......

for ati cards related problems....go and search for "netkas"....

for nvidia card problems (very less except gtx 460 :fou: i want to do sli with this...) go to insanelymac

digital7

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
a friend of mine , lawyer asked apple about hackintos and they told him that they will not support him if he has any problems with his machine but it is LEGAL to install Mac OS on a pc if he has BOUGHT the os dvd from apple and has PAID for it .

if he has paid for anything he has got from apple , they don't have a problem with this .

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
yes thats very true....u must buy a snow leopard dvd from the apple store before hackintoshing.... look around a....all the hackintosh websites support apple so they always ask you to buy the dvd and then installl...

however, you are breaking the EULA of apple when you dont install it on their hardware..naturally they wont support any of your issues...

also now with the upcoming release of OSX Lion..... and its integration of app store and iOS... there is a lot of apprehension about whether there will be any future viability of osx86(as it is called) or not....

most of them see this as an ominous sign that apple are trying to plug this little opportunity for risk takers......all in all its gr8 to run apple on your pc...

at least you know the os is better than windows....really it is.... lots of them go o nto buy macs .....

i tried leopard on an old p4 rig.... superb man.... i figure you are actually paying so much for their os and not the stuff inside (and yeah i know about the costly ram)

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Here is a good link for building one: http://lifehacker.com/321913/build-a-hackintosh-mac-for-under-800 My understanding is that as long as you go with hardware that is "Apple compatible" then you will be ok.

The end user agreement states that you must use the OS only with Apple hardware as stated above. I might avoid upgrades initially, or at least until you can do a full back-up of your system. If it helps alleviate your guilt, then just slap an Apple logo sticker on the front of your box.

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
There is no guilt involved...u think steve jobs felt guilt ...when they went over to xerox to dupe those hapless puppies.......

its just a loophole...... gigabyte motherboards are the most compatible ... most the stuff works out of the box...others also work ....

theere is no reason to be afraid while updating.....as long as you use the Vanilla kernel.... the untouched orig form apple dvd.....yoursystems will always boot fine.....

if it doesnt....just boot up with -x thats safe mode....

not much problem....i update even though i do not have a vanilla kernel...thx to my older processor....

darry

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

I some people are speaking about EULA here, however it's not EUAL that can get you in trouble. There is another document, that helped them to win a couple of lawsuits against hackintosh community. Beware. However - if you keep your device personal - it maybe wouldn't even get to this part.

Status
Not open for further replies.