News Hacksawing a Motherboard Let Me Set a 12900K Overclocking Record

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
i for one couldnt imagine in the days of the great silicon shortage of 2020-present, hacksawing a $1300 motherboard to harvest a socket to gain 50mhz. more power to you for doing it, but oof

TBH surprised some vendor hasnt sold "flattened" cpu's to sell to ppl interested in OC.

yes, its small subsection, but it exists and ppl would pay for a pre lapepd one (as many ppl are scared to do it themselves)

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
Fun Stuff! I am sure Intel will come out with a new design to address this. But that leaves me with 3 Alder Lakes with Bowed CPUs. I think they will be fine for a while but at some point we could see physical failures on the chips like Micro Cracks or CPU Package Distortions.

w_barath

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

You had all the right ideas, you just didn't combine them with dedication. That's what led to hacksawing the MOBO, which was unnecessary if you had stuck to your original knowledge.

Lap the CPU and IHS. Install the hold-down mechanism, with screws threaded from the backside of the MOBO. Install with minimal thermal paste. Back off the hold-down mechanism screws from the back of the MOBO (don't remove, leave pinky-finger tight, and later tighten them before removing the heatsink.)

Tada. 0 patents pending required.

Last edited:
Reactions: jp7189