[SOLVED] Had 99% RAM usage, almost no CPU usage; Added 16GB of RAM to a now 32GB. Now I have 99% CPU usage and almost no RAM usage???

WaldoJones

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Just like the title says. I had issues with Physical Memory on task manager showing 90%+ and things getting groggy. Never once had issues with CPU spiking. So I added 16GB of RAM and now suddenly I have huge issues with CPU and ZERO issues with Physical Memory. And tbh the CPU issue is MUCH more annoying to deal with the "freezing" it does is god awful.

With almost nothing open it's at 20% and the second I start doing even a little bit it's 50-70% and can easily climb to 90%+.
I'm going to keep testing. Originally I realize that much of the problem was me turning on "quick boot" or "Fast boot" or something like that. It's much better now that I've turned it off. But it's still terrible.

Can someone explain what's going on to me? Why the wild switch?

Here is my PC Build:
Windows 7, 64bit.
MSI Z97-G45 (Gaming Motherboard)
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-G45-GAMING#down-manual
Intel i7-4790K (LGA1150)
(Sapphire) AMD Radeon RX 5700
EVGA Supernova NEX750 (80 Plus / 750W)
G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3-2133 (PC3-1700) 4x8GB (F3-2133C11D-16GXL) - All matching, even in color.
Acer X 193W BD — 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor
Crucial MX300 2.5-inch SSD (750GB)
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO

I tried to update my BIOS twice via BIOS M-Flash, because the best I could figure out was that it's a BIOS issue.
I'm v2.6, but v2.9 says this:
  • Improved memory compatibility.
  • Support PSC B-die DDR3 Memory
  • Fix that system is not able to boot from legacy DVD ROM when RAID is activated.
  • Updated CPU microcode.
But it froze on 18% so I let it sit for 14 hours. MSI told me to just reset and pray my motherboard wasn't bricked. And thankfully it restarted perfectly fine! ($155 saved!!!). They said that was very rare and, so I followed their advice to just try again with a different thumb drive. Same thing, frozen at 18%. Restarted fine, again. I cannot seem to upgrade my BIOS no matter what I do. I'm stuck with version 2.6.

Please help!

Last edited:
Solution
are the 4 sticks all the same set?

did you try updating bios with only 1 stick of ram in? not sure it make a difference but maybe?

try updating with no gpu attached, bare minimum on PC?

did you try updating bios versions inbetween yours and latest?

BIOS is sort of thing you lucky to not brick twice already. I don't know if we can get it on any better than MSI could.

Colif

Win 11 Master

did you try updating bios with only 1 stick of ram in? not sure it make a difference but maybe?

BIOS is sort of thing you lucky to not brick twice already. I don't know if we can get it on any better than MSI could.

Solution

WaldoJones

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Yes. Same exact brand, color, item number, DDR, etc. Only difference is one was from a 2015 batch, the other was from the very end of 2014.

I didn't think to try this tbh.

This is also a good idea. I will try this.

No, I was worried doing 4-5 instead of 1 would increase my chances of bricking my motherboard. I'm quite paranoid at this point tbh. It's $155 loss if I mess up.
Tbh I almost thought about just buying a new one on eBay where the trusted seller has the same motherboard but on the newest BIOS, and then selling mine and taking the $20-30 loss instead of risking of gambling $155 worth.

Yeah I'm seriously questioning if I should bother trying. I might just do the Motherboard swap via eBay deal. I will only lose $20-30 selling mine with shipping and fees and all that I think.

Can someone explain what's going on to me? Why the wild switch?
Looks like ram compatibility issue.
It may be necessary to reduce ram frequency. To 1866,1600mhz
Increase ram voltage. Don't go over 1.65V.
Make sure Command rate is set to 2T. With 4 ram modules this is absolutely necessary.

Update BIOS with single ram module only. Running BIOS update with unstable ram config, you can brick your motherboard.

WaldoJones

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Looks like ram compatibility issue.
It may be necessary to reduce ram frequency. To 1866,1600mhz
Increase ram voltage. Don't go over 1.65V.
Make sure Command rate is set to 2T. With 4 ram modules this is absolutely necessary.

Update BIOS with single ram module only. Running BIOS update with unstable ram config, you can brick your motherboard.

Is it worth the risk to try to update a motherboard in this manner? Rather than just buy a new board that's already updated for me and selling my old board?