[SOLVED] Had a question about fan speed and fan/ curve

Jun 4, 2021
I just had a quick question about temps and fan speed/curve. First off is it better to use a constant speed % or to use a fan curve i have been doing research and it seems that having a constant speed is better for the components. Also i have a EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 TI and i was wondering if anyone could give me an rough estimate on how long the fans will last running at 75% speed all the time ( using msi after burner to make these adjustments). Quick disclaimer i dont have temp problems with my gpu my temps run alright the idle temps for the gpu is 57-60c when doing nothing and the hottest it gets when gaming/benchmarking is 79-83 also 83 is the hottest it has gotten and that was only with 3d mark.I would just like to know if running fans at 75% speed at all times will significantly lower the fans life span. also im purely talking about the gpu fans here not the case fans if the case fans die its not too big of a deal for me ill just replace them ever couple of years if they happen to die that early im just woundering about the gpu fans because i have never done any replacement or modding on a gpu and would preferer not to.

Solution
If we went by https://web.archive.org/web/2011010...c.com/pdf/engineering/fans_ball_vs_sleeve.pdf , fan failure rates appear to be mostly based on temperature, not how fast they spin.

I'm pretty sure though a lot of people here have GPUs that are "ancient" in computer terms, but their fans are running fine. But IMO, it's nothing to really worry about. If the fans break, fine, just take off the shroud and the fans then put on something custom.
If we went by https://web.archive.org/web/2011010...c.com/pdf/engineering/fans_ball_vs_sleeve.pdf , fan failure rates appear to be mostly based on temperature, not how fast they spin.

I'm pretty sure though a lot of people here have GPUs that are "ancient" in computer terms, but their fans are running fine. But IMO, it's nothing to really worry about. If the fans break, fine, just take off the shroud and the fans then put on something custom.

Solution

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I just had a quick question about temps and fan speed/curve. First off is it better to use a constant speed % or to use a fan curve i have been doing research and it seems that having a constant speed is better for the components. Also i have a EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 TI and i was wondering if anyone could give me an rough estimate on how long the fans will last running at 75% speed all the time ( using msi after burner to make these adjustments). Quick disclaimer i dont have temp problems with my gpu my temps run alright the idle temps for the gpu is 57-60c when doing nothing and the hottest it gets when gaming/benchmarking is 79-83 also 83 is the hottest it has gotten and that was only with 3d mark.I would just like to know if running fans at 75% speed at all times will significantly lower the fans life span. also im purely talking about the gpu fans here not the case fans if the case fans die its not too big of a deal for me ill just replace them ever couple of years if they happen to die that early im just woundering about the gpu fans because i have never done any replacement or modding on a gpu and would preferer not to.
Fan failure is rare, they tipically last as long as the rest of the components of the card if not longer. They are also cheep to replace if needed.