Had a ton of issues with 980 ti and my PSU... Ways to downclock?

Rememberbeta102

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
Hey there, got downvoted to oblivions with no one willing to offer help on Reddit. I bought a EVGA SSC GTX 980ti(used) a week ago to get 1070 level of performance due to the 1070's rise in price, and the past week hasn't gone so well. First night of testing the card, while running Firemark Timespy, there was a pop noise as the computer shut off. Attempted to turn it back on, but to my surprise, no response. Graphic card light turns on for a brief second, the turns off during boot and no more video signal. I believed the card died, so paid 12 dollar ish to send it in to RMA. The replacement is coming in tomorrow, and I want to try to not blow up the card again, at least until I can afford a even more high quality power supply.

My current power supply is a CX 600, and from my research it seems as if this was only entry level and could have been the result of the incident mentioned above. I also have absolutely no experience in overclocking or downclocking except for CPUs, which I don't even fully understand.

All reply would be appreciated.