Info Had a weird issue with my internet speeds took me a few months to fix.

Nov 21, 2021
What was happening I was paying for 100 meg internet connection. My pc was only getting 9 megs down, 2 megs up. So of course this started the search. My pc is an HP OMEN 30L Desktop - GT13-0014 out of warranty a few months ago. So thinking it was my modem, I bought a new one because what I had was 5 years old. Did not work. So now I'm thinking bad cable to the second floor, so I move the modem to the main cable into the house and connect. I then put My pc into wireless mode. Exact same speed. Since I had no change from wireless to hard-wire, I was thinking my internet provider was having issues. For giggles, I did a speed test with the same connections using my iPad on wireless. Wow, now I was getting over 100 megs down. 22 up. So this is weird. Now i'm wondering if apple is speed testing different. So I moved the modem back to the 2nd floor and hard-wired my pc. I then did another wireless speed test with iPad over 100 megs down strong signal. Computer hardwired garbage speed. Switch to same wireless that iPad was on, pc still had garbage speed. So now I'm thinking windows or something is interfering. Ran antivirus and malware and found nothing.
So I did internet search and reset with command com all the PC internet connections installed new drivers on the pc for Ethernet and wireless, you know the usual garbage. Nothing worked!
Then I ran this setting under command com Admin
  • Run netsh interface tcp show global to see if the feature is disabled
  • Run netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal to set it to normal
Briefly my pc speeds picked up then went trashy shortly after.
Finally, I decided that something in my hardware with my Ethernet was hosed.
This is the built-in to motherboard part RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
I finally ordered and installed a USB 3 to Ethernet adaptor. My speeds are now fine. Through the adaptor.

I just wanted to post this in case it might help others. I also noticed on HP's web site them taking back to repair other computers with similar problems.
That took me 6 months to figure out.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY