Question Had the same problem happen on two ASUS motherboards

freddiebox

Prominent
Apr 26, 2019
Hello!

Last year I ordered a pre-built computer with the ASUS Rog Strix B360-F along with an ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti by a professional and senior tech company. The computer worked flawlessly for a couple of days and I was able to get a few hours of gaming. Then with no warning the computer started to reset at random and the VGA-LED on the motherboard turned on with a white light. After hours of troubleshooting including stress testing, memory test, ensuring all cables and components secured, and updating BIOS to no avail I returned the computer.

I decided to not have it repaired and keep using my old MSI computer for a few more months until I decided to try again but from a different company. This time the new computer have an ASUS ASUS Prime Z390-A motherboard along with an ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2060. Again the installation went without incident and the computer worked just fine for the day. Then to my surprise my monitor lost signal and went into sleep right after launching a game. The game still ran in the background and the computer itself still fully responsive. So I was able to use keyboard shortcuts to reboot the computer. When I got back to the desktop the monitor turned on and acted normal, but again the VGA-LED had turned on with the normal white light on the motherboard and stayed on until I did another reboot. I tried launching another game and it did the exact same thing. I got very puzzled and as a last resort I changed to another monitor just to make sure my main monitor weren't running on its last breath. It did the same thing on the other monitor just a few minutes after launching a game. Everything is seated in the computer. Strange thing is the computer runs applications like Affinity Designer, Photoshop, and Vegas Pro just fine which also utilize the GPU.

Right now I'm typing this from my old MSI computer which I will add also have an Nvidia GPU, (GTX 1070), and uses the same driver version but works just fine in games. So for now I ruled out it being a driver issue.

Am I just getting extremely unlucky with ASUS, or am I doing something wrong? Never had any issues with previous computers of any manufacturer. So far only ASUS brand.

Full specs on the current ASUS computer:
Windows 10 x64
ASUS PRIME Z390-A
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666Mhz CL16 Vengeance
Intel Core i5 9600K 3.7 GHz 9MB
ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 6GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC
Corsair RM750X 750W v2

Lutfij

Titan
I read through your entire post but I'm a little confused, are you working with two different motherboards but with specs that are carry overs or the same as the other system(meaning the parts outside of motherboard)? What sort of a chassis are you working with? The i9's are power hungry(and hot heads) and if that was what was used on the B360, I'd have asked you to pick up a higher end Z390 series chipset board since the Prime's quality as of late is not the same as that found in prior generations. What sort of an aftermarket cooler are you on for the processor in your build?

Might I ask where you got the system built from?

You could breadboard the system, with a PSU borrowed from a friend to see if the PSU you have is faulty and try figuring the issue out via troubleshooting but IMHO, I think troubleshooting is covered by the builder's package, correct? It's even possible you could void your warranty if you're not sure what you're doing.

Latest BIOS update for your Z390 board?

freddiebox

Prominent
Apr 26, 2019
I read through your entire post but I'm a little confused, are you working with two different motherboards but with specs that are carry overs or the same as the other system(meaning the parts outside of motherboard)? What sort of a chassis are you working with? The i9's are power hungry(and hot heads) and if that was what was used on the B360, I'd have asked you to pick up a higher end Z390 series chipset board since the Prime's quality as of late is not the same as that found in prior generations. What sort of an aftermarket cooler are you on for the processor in your build?

Might I ask where you got the system built from?

You could breadboard the system, with a PSU borrowed from a friend to see if the PSU you have is faulty and try figuring the issue out via troubleshooting but IMHO, I think troubleshooting is covered by the builder's package, correct? It's even possible you could void your warranty if you're not sure what you're doing.

Latest BIOS update for your Z390 board?

Different computers entirely with different specifications from top to bottom except for the cases. Why I'm very confused why this keeps happening.

• The chassis of both computers are Phanteks Eclipse P400S.
  • The computer with the B360-F had an i7-9700K, and the Z390 the i5-9600K
  • The CPU cooler is a Cooler Master EVO 212.
  • Again these are prebuilt computers ordered from different stores yet they show the exact same issue.
  • And yes, there is always a 24 hour testing phase when buying prebuilt and both passed. Running games is not included in the testing however.
  • I updated BIOS on both computers when I noticed the problem as a first solution but to no avail.
Believe me I'm just as confused as you are. Had EVGA, Gigabyte, and MSI based computers in the past and never had any issues with them whatsoever. But so far after buying two ASUS computers that both have the same issue out of the box I'm probably having a streak of bad luck. The B360-F I returned got confirmed of being defect, and now I'm about to return the Z390 as well to avoid breaking any warranty. I'm just puzzled.

Last edited:

Scott Wayne

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...vga-led-solid-white-asus-help-please.2497206/
i hope this helps you out and as for monitor going to sleep in games it happens i keep my power settings on high performance and do not let it turn off my monitor. the info i think that will help you is taking the computer apart testing all the parts hopefully you find the culprit i pray for you its under warrant and something easily remedied.

freddiebox

Prominent
Apr 26, 2019
Well I'm just going to return it because now after just sitting for a few minutes in the BIOS the monitor goes to sleep at random. I tried both DisplayPort and HDMI. It even went to sleep sitting hooked up to the motherboard DisplayPort.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Why keep sticking a lackluster performance, budget cpu cooler like the hyper212 on high end cpus such as the 9700k? It's barely rated better than what would be considered stock on those. $400 for the gpu, $30 for cpu cooler. Little off balance.

The p400s is a great case, but it is a little on the short side when it comes to airflow, so unless it's setup for a decent amount, with a nice toasty gpu, hours of gaming on a budget cpu cooler, you'll be running some pretty high temps.

magmgarcia

Prominent
Nov 9, 2018
the only part who repeat in these two builds is the chassis Phanteks Eclipse P400S. now I think you should test it.

where is your computer connected? I mean the power cables, do you have any electrician issue at home?

if I made mistakes in redaction, I sorry my English isn't good yet

freddiebox

Prominent
Apr 26, 2019
the only part who repeat in these two builds is the chassis Phanteks Eclipse P400S. now I think you should test it.

where is your computer connected? I mean the power cables, do you have any electrician issue at home?

if I made mistakes in redaction, I sorry my English isn't good yet
Your english is fine. :)

And no I don't have any issues at home considering I'm typing this from my old computer on the same monitor that kept losing connection on the new computer. My old computer got similar specifications and the same chassis as well just a model older. I also talked to the store and after describing the issue the only thing that came to their mind is a defect GPU considering the computer never crashes when the monitor turns off, Windows and the application is fully responsive in the background.

freddiebox

Prominent
Apr 26, 2019
An update!

The guys over at the store came back to me a few days ago after troubleshooting and it turned out to be a defect GPU. They also tested the motherboard and it seems to work like it should. They also left it overnight to run to test the new GPU. I just got it back and so far everything seems normal after several gaming sessions. I must have some serious bad luck to get two defect GPUs in a row.