Had windows 10 activated now I switched motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

machees

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
First off I had windows 10 activated on my old asus motherboard, now I switched too a new intel one, now I cant activate because I don't have the product key u get when u upgrade from windows 8.1... Now my new issue is when I switch back too windows 8.1 I cant upgrade from there because it says my windows 8.1 key had reached its limit (or something like that) so now I'm stuck without no free product key or my old windows 8.1 key... please help.

Solution
You can get to the activate by phone screen by:

Open administrator command prompt
Type SLUI 4 and press enter

Windows 10 activation is tied to your hardware not a product key like before. If you change the motherboard activation will fail. Here is my story.

I just had a Gateway computer that the Motherboard was damaged by lightning. It had been upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 prior to me getting it. I installed the new motherboard (identical to the original) and Windows 10 reports it isn't activated. I called Microsoft and explained the situation. They were not helpful. I was told I would have to reinstall the original operating system and then upgrade to Windows 10 again to register the hardware.

I resolved the issue by...

machees

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015

That oem thing u talked about was in my Microsoft account under devices, it said windows 10 core and displayed my device oem name that I use does that help or any tips

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Did you call Microsoft and plead your case?

machees

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015

Well I tried but it was 4 in the morning so they were closed, I'm a try again in a bit, but is there a specific number u can give meach too dial for this support

machees

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015

i called around 4 but I don't know which number too use too call when I'm on windows 10

ellisol

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
You can get to the activate by phone screen by:

Open administrator command prompt
Type SLUI 4 and press enter

Windows 10 activation is tied to your hardware not a product key like before. If you change the motherboard activation will fail. Here is my story.

I just had a Gateway computer that the Motherboard was damaged by lightning. It had been upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 prior to me getting it. I installed the new motherboard (identical to the original) and Windows 10 reports it isn't activated. I called Microsoft and explained the situation. They were not helpful. I was told I would have to reinstall the original operating system and then upgrade to Windows 10 again to register the hardware.

I resolved the issue by putting in another hard drive, install and activate my previous Windows, upgrade and activate Windows 10 to register my NEW hardware. I then shutdown and install the original hard drive. It activated instantly.

I hope Microsoft will allow hardware\motherboard changes in their phone activation in the future.

Solution

mrbigdaddymaz

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
I had this issue when i had a failed asus x99-s board i replaced it with another board (same model) and Windows wasn't activated. I followed the screen prompts for activating it. Phoned Microsoft got a code and was activated again in around 5 minutes. Not sure if it helped that i was using the same model board.

teknobug

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Best way is to reinstall the previous Windows you upgraded from and activate it through there then install Windows 10 via the previous Windows and it should work. That's the downside of this free upgrade phase, hopefully won't be the case when it costs next year.

What's funny is normally even with the same model motherboard, Windows technically should throw a fit at you about it just like Windows 10 is, but I had to RMA a motherboard and threw in a new motherboard and Windows 7 didn't even deactivate, heck when I upgraded from an ASRock Z77-Pro4 to Z77-Extreme4 it was still activated. I was a little surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.