[SOLVED] Hair Pulling Mac Issue, (won't boot past white screen) could use some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMate

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
The issue: My 2010 15in Macbook Pro won't boot past the white screen. On the rare occasion it does it will unexpectedly shut off.

What I've tried: I've tried resetting the SMC by holding down the correct keys and waiting for the second beep. I've physically unplugged and replugged the battery from the logic board. I ran the long apple diagnostic test, nothing was flagged.I booted into disk utility (which I can only do on occasion) repaired and verified the disk. I reset the RAM sticks which I had upgraded months prior. Nothing works. One interesting thing that happened was I installed OSX on a separate HDD and put it in the Macbook, that actually worked for a few hours. I decided that I had fixed the problem and it was just a failing disk. So I proceeded to copy all of my data over via time machine. While trying to backup the new HDD with my old data, it turned off in the middle and hasn't booted back up since.

For some reason I don't think the logic board is failing. I believe something would have been flagged in the diagnostic. I also know Macbooks are filled with sensors that shut the computer off before anything is damaged and I think one of these sensors is being tripped. If I find out what's going wrong I believe I can salvage the computer. Before anyone tells me to bring it into Apple or just buy a new computer I'd like to use this as a learning experience and I can't afford to replace or pay for repairs at the moment.

I have a backup 2010 iMac, an HDD reader, and an extra HDD to work with for trouble shooting. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

iamacow

Admirable
On Macs there isn't much you can do. Hard drive and memory (model dependent) can be swapped out. Besides that your SOL. Than again that applies to 99% of laptops these days. If you still have AppleCare, send it in and have them fix it. Seems to me like a its logic board or a screen issue. Nothing you can fix yourself.

TheMate

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

I've ruled out a screen issue because the screen works fine, but no I don't still have apple care. It's a 2010 model. Thanks for the feedback but I'm looking for some solutions to try out. The logic board is actually newer than the computer, Apple replaced it in 2013 because their original boards had faulty soldering.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Plug either HDD into the USB port, start it up and press and hold Ctrl after you hear the chime. You should then get a list of drives to boot from, the USB one will be in goldish color and choose that. If it boots normally then the likely culprit is the cable between the HDD and the logic board. Very common issue and very cheap to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.