[SOLVED] Half Life: Alyx for Flatscreeners?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I wonder if anyone thinks Valve will ever make HL:A for the flat screen? Seems kind of a waste to depend on just VR owners to buy it. I realize it is a big selling point now for their VR, but I'm still hoping.

Solution
So okay looked and Valve is pushing there headset as well. So okay lets see ........................................ $999.00...............................head in my hands.

I guess I'm out.............sigh
You won't need a $1000 VR setup to play the game. You can get some relatively decent Windows Mixed Reality headsets with controllers, like the Samsung Odyssey+, around the $200-$300 range now. I agree that the pricing of Valve's Index was disappointing though. It might be an alright option for some existing VR users looking to upgrade to a higher-end setup, but that's still a relatively small audience, and I can't see it attracting many more people to VR. Of course, it's certainly possible that Valve may make something...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Which will in turn come with a license to live forever, because it will take an eternity.

Honestly, when it dawned on me Alyx was the gal from HL2, I went to watch an embedded video of it someone posted, only to be repulsed by floating arms and hands. What's next, they have you playing even a Strider with no legs?

Kind of a waste indeed.
I've played a little VR on a friend's system. It's not as disturbing as you might imagine. And really amazing. But I don't expect it would be anything like that in the flatscreen version.
I don't see myself getting a VR system in the near future though, and I'd really like to play HL:A on my simple flat screen system. So... I suppose I'll sit and wait like I did for the never-to-be-released HL3.

I just seen this today as well and got supper excited and went and watched preview and I felt the same with the hands and thought well I guess I'm out. I would play it old style as well . So okay looked and Valve is pushing there headset as well. So okay lets see ........................................ $999.00...............................head in my hands.

So okay looked and Valve is pushing there headset as well. So okay lets see ........................................ $999.00...............................head in my hands.

You won't need a $1000 VR setup to play the game. You can get some relatively decent Windows Mixed Reality headsets with controllers, like the Samsung Odyssey+, around the $200-$300 range now. I agree that the pricing of Valve's Index was disappointing though. It might be an alright option for some existing VR users looking to upgrade to a higher-end setup, but that's still a relatively small audience, and I can't see it attracting many more people to VR. Of course, it's certainly possible that Valve may make something available at a more reasonable price point next year, and we're likely to see new hardware and price drops from other companies as well.

Honestly, when it dawned on me Alyx was the gal from HL2, I went to watch an embedded video of it someone posted, only to be repulsed by floating arms and hands.
It does look a bit weird in the trailer, especially with realistic fingers poking out of disembodied fingerless gloves, but I suspect it won't be all that noticeable when actually playing the game. How often do you even pay attention to the presence of your arms during the course of the day? Most of the time, your arms will likely be off in the periphery as you're looking around at and interacting with objects and the environment.

They may have done that due it possibly be more immersion-breaking when arms do not follow the precise movements of one's real arms, which is going to sometimes be the case without some form of additional tracking hardware. Clipping with the environment would likely be more of an issue as well.

I was pleasantly surprised by the trailer. It looks better than what I was expecting them to do, although it is still just a trailer. Some things remain to be seen, like how they handle movement through the environment. And it's interesting that they returned to City 17, as it highlights just how much has changed with game graphics in the more than a decade that has passed since Half-Life 2.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS