Half memory not registering.

suuave1

Prominent
Sep 11, 2018
Attempting to run 16GB (2x8GB) T-Force Dark DDR4 3200 memory on an ASUS Prime x470 motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 7 1800X. Both memory sticks are recognized by the BIOS as being in the slots but the system says that there are only 8GB of total memory. I have swapped the memory between the slots both together and individually. Both sticks work and the slots seem fine. I cannot get the system to recognized that when both sticks are installed that there should be 16GB of memory. Is there a compatibility problem with the x470 boards and this type of memory?

Nvidia GTX 950
Asus Prime x470 Pro
T-Force Dark Memory (2x8GB)
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Samsung 970 Evo 500GB (Unformatted)
EVGA CLC 240 AIO Cooler

suuave1

Prominent
Sep 11, 2018
MLG_No_Scope - Nope. Already did that.
Jason201 - The SSD hadn't even been installed yet. This is in the BIOS.

I found the solution.
The ASUS Prime x470 Pro, has four slots A1,A2,B1,B2. In the manual with a pair of ram chips (2x8GB in my case) it states that you are supposed to put the ram in certain slots for Dual Channel use. They recommend slot A2 and B2 which are both grey in color. This fails and the BIOS only recognizes 8GB. Even moving it to A1 and B1 (the black slots) fails and again only 8GB are recognized. It sees that there's ram in two slots but for some strange reason only counts the memory from one chip.
The real solution was to put the memory in slots A1 and A2. The BIOS finally saw 16GB on boot. The memory was running at 2400MHz base, so I activated D.C.O.P. and the memory overclocked to the rated 3200MHz. The system is stable and running fine. The problem wasn't my board, the CPU or the memory, it was the instructions provided by the motherboard manufacturer.