[SOLVED] Half of my monitor only shows up if theres a white background

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2021
Hi !

I've been having this problem for quite a while now on my laptop monitor.
A portion of it seems to be malfunctioning and will only show up the whole screen if exposed to anything completely white that I open on my desktop.
See the images below.

IMG20210707175019.jpg

After I close paint.

IMG20210707175007.jpg

If i open anything, the bottom half just freezes. It eventually turns completely black if I don't do this.

I tested if it was a gpu problem but printscreen shows a clear desktop so it's a monitor issue.
The model of the laptop is an ASUS TUF FX505DY.

I want to know what causes this and if there's anyway to fix it without going to a repair shop, mainly because it's 120Hz and expensive.
Thank you lots for your time reading my post and any possible answers.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. If you have BIOS versions pending update, gradually work your way to the latest version. As for your OS, make sure you're on the latest version(updated) for Windows 10. Following that, source the latest GPU drivers from AMD's support site, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then reboot, then manually reinstall your GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>run as Administrator.

Lutfij

Titan

You might want to check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. If you have BIOS versions pending update, gradually work your way to the latest version. As for your OS, make sure you're on the latest version(updated) for Windows 10. Following that, source the latest GPU drivers from AMD's support site, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then reboot, then manually reinstall your GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>run as Administrator.

Solution
Jul 7, 2021

Hi and thank you for the welcome!

I've checked my BIOS version and it's up to date. Both the OS and GPU weren't so I'm currently updating them right now. But I was sure I updated my laptop months ago when this started happening but the issue still persisted. I'll update the thread when it's done updating though!

Jul 7, 2021
Looks like the monitor is bad, you can see the line across it even with the first screenshot where it's working. Have you tested it on another computer with another cable and video card? Maybe another cable type?
Ah unfortunately I haven't because this is the only desktop we have with no extra cables and such.

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Hi and thank you for the welcome!

I've checked my BIOS version and it's up to date. Both the OS and GPU weren't so I'm currently updating them right now. But I was sure I updated my laptop months ago when this started happening but the issue still persisted. I'll update the thread when it's done updating though!
Dids you also check the refresh rate on the screen?

Jul 7, 2021
Dids you also check the refresh rate on the screen?
Hi sorry! The refresh rate of the screen is 120Hz

I actually just noticed this is a laptop, is that the laptop screen or a monitor connected to the laptop? If it's the laptop screen you can't test it with cables or on another system. You can check the ribbon cable connection to the motherboard to make sure that is OK.
Will try to do this suggestion thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS