[SOLVED] Half of my RAM not recognized as installed

May 17, 2020
I've recently purchased another kit of the EXACT same ram i had for my computer. I had 8 gb (4x2) previously installed, now I have 16 gb but 8 gb are not workig or being recognized. They are the EXACT SAME KIT simply bought two years later. Windows only seem's to recognize 8 gb of the total. I've tried every single RAM combination that was possible and nothing made a difference but it started with 8 gb of installed RAM every single time. CPU-Z AND BIOS can read ALL of the dimm slots, they both say that all of them have the RAM that i can speaking of there but for some reason it is missing. I cannot find a manual dual channel override, however i have changed the timings and made sure everything is how it should be. I currently have it on X.M.T. mode, DDR3 - 1600MHZ - timings at 9-9-9-24 which is what is suggested on the box. To be clear: I have 4x4 currently installed, two different kits, exact same product, exact same timings, all are being read but not all are working in unison. Please let me know if you can help me out!

Specs are
sabertooth z77 mobo
i7 3770k cpu
4x 4gb g. skill ripjaws x

Solution
When plugged in one at a time, all of the slots work, when plugged in all together and every other combination you can imagine, only two of the slots work and it comes out to 8 gb installed memory.
Have you updated to the newest bios version? Can you access the bios with all for slots occupied?

If you can access the bios with all four modules installed, set the memory speed to 1600 and the timings to automatic. Pres F10 to save and exit and then see if the boot post screen or bios say 16GB total installed ram. If it says 16GB total, try booting into Windows. You might also need to reset bios.

If updating bios, resetting or changing memory timings to automatic doesn't work, you might need to reseat the CPU by taking it out of...
I've recently purchased another kit of the EXACT same ram i had for my computer. I had 8 gb (4x2) previously installed, now I have 16 gb but 8 gb are not workig or being recognized.
Specs are
sabertooth z77 mobo
i7 3770k cpu
4x 4gb g. skill ripjaws x
Is it being only being unrecognized in Windows or is it also in the bios? Did you actually have 4x2GB modules before or did you mean 2x4GB?

May 17, 2020
Is it being only being unrecognized in Windows or is it also in the bios? Did you actually have 4x2GB modules before or did you mean 2x4GB?
only 8gb are being recognized in windows, in the BIOS settings it also recognizes only 8 gb and yes 2x4 not 4x2 my bad. however in the "tools" section of bios i was able to locate and check every dimm slot and all of them were reading the ram card correctly.

only 8gb are being recognized in windows, in the BIOS settings it also recognizes only 8 gb and yes 2x4 not 4x2 my bad. however in the "tools" section of bios i was able to locate and check every dimm slot and all of them were reading the ram card correctly.
You said in your previous post that all the slots are being recognized. Do you mean all modules installed or only when you put a module in a single slot at a time?

May 17, 2020
You said in your previous post that all the slots are being recognized. Do you mean all modules installed or only when you put a module in a single slot at a time?
within BIOS under the tool tab, i am able to go under each dimm slot individually where it tells me that each dimm is now occupied by the exact ram card that should be there, indicating that the dimm slot is technically and transmitting information in some way. When plugged in one at a time, all of the slots work, when plugged in all together and every other combination you can imagine, only two of the slots work and it comes out to 8 gb installed memory.

May 17, 2020
If your bios isn't recognizing all 4, there's something wrong at that level even before windows boots.
BIOS is techincally recognizing all 4 but not at the same time, see my reply to "Third-Eye" but basically I can find all of the slots and how they are occupied under one of the tabs in BIOS and the one reads all correct information so thats why its extra confusing why its isnt properly being read. I saw in some other posts online that sometimes loosening the CPU and motherboard screws will fix the issue but that did not seem to be the case for me.

When plugged in one at a time, all of the slots work, when plugged in all together and every other combination you can imagine, only two of the slots work and it comes out to 8 gb installed memory.
Have you updated to the newest bios version? Can you access the bios with all for slots occupied?

If you can access the bios with all four modules installed, set the memory speed to 1600 and the timings to automatic. Pres F10 to save and exit and then see if the boot post screen or bios say 16GB total installed ram. If it says 16GB total, try booting into Windows. You might also need to reset bios.

If updating bios, resetting or changing memory timings to automatic doesn't work, you might need to reseat the CPU by taking it out of the socket and placing it back in after checking for bent CPU socket pins. Don't do it unless you know how and have thermal paste available.

Solution