Half of my video files have disappeared

SissyHawk

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
Hello
Half of my video files have disappeared leaving all sub folders intact but empty! The disappearance has happened to my files from A-M everything below that is all there! Some of the empty folders still have their subtitle files so not everything in the folders has gone! I have tried to change the attributes of the folders; unhide files etc but to no avail. It is a non system drive, I've removed it from my tower to try it with my laptop with no success. I have also tried recuva but it found nothing. It seemed to happen when I set up Nero media sharing to access my files from my TV.
Please can anyone help me with this as I am completely at a loss?

If they were deleted recuva should have found something, if they were moved, it would not. Do you have any other places where you strore files? When you setup the media sharing was there maybe an option to "move" files to another shared location? Also a thing to try, make a Linux Live boot disk, Knopixx is a good one to use there, and see if it will see the files there. If they were hidden in some odd way under Windows, Linux should still see it.

0xBahaa

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
First of all, could you make sure that the Hard Disk space that was taken by those videos is free now? This will most probably indicate that the files were removed, and aren't hidden in some odd way.
If that's the case, recuva should find something... at least some traces (even if not recoverable).

imrazor

Distinguished
This is a long shot, but are you trying to look for your video files with a particular video player, or have you tried looking for them with Windows Explorer. If you're using a video player to look for them, you might have a file type filter blocking their visibility. If you are opening them in a video player, look to the left of the "File name" box to see if a particular file type is specified. If it is, change the selection to "All files"

TRENDING THREADS