[SOLVED] Half Ram slots not working on a particular CPU

Shahzil

Honorable
Aug 31, 2016
Hey everyone, yesterday I ran into an issue of pc getting stuck into a boot loop before the bios screen. Upon diagnosing, it turned out to be half my ram slots are not working and it won't boot if the ram is inserted in them. The technical guy tested the motherboard by mounting another processor (i5 4th gen) and all four ram slots were then working. He further tested my processor with another motherboard of two slots and only one slot seems to be working. I read somewhere this issue is related to the IMC, but I tested it with intel's processor diagnostic tool and it showed that the IMC is good along with every other test. Even though, through diagnostics, it is evident that the processor carries the fault, but what exactly is the cause of this problem and is there any way from which this issue can be resolved. Thank you.

My Specs:
i7 4790
Asus B85m-e
16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz (4x4)
Radeon RX 580 8 GB GDDR5

Ralston18

Titan
So the pc was working with the listed RAM and suddenly stopped working with two RAM slots seemingly not working?

No known changes or updates of any sort: hardware, software, firmware?

Motherboard manual:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/B85M-E/E9915_B85M-E_Manual_v3_web.pdf

[Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Check the onboard LEDs.

Are you able to access BIOS? Reference Chapter 2 of the User Manual.

Will the system boot into Safe Mode?

Try a new CMOS battery.

As for the "processor carrying the fault" - may be a configuration issue.

Reference Sections 2.5.2 beginning on physically numbered page 2-13. Verify that the current configurations are as expected.

Shahzil

Honorable
Aug 31, 2016
Yes, the PC was working fine yesterday, then it suddenly got frozen and stopped working. Right now I'm using it by not inserting any ram module in the last two slots.

No, I haven't made any changes from the time it crashed. Same hardware, firmware, and software.

The manual seems to be the right one for my motherboard.

Onboard LEDs? The green LED which shows the power input on the board?

Yes, I can access bios by inserting ram only in the first two slots. As I mentioned above, the PC also boots just fine with ram only in the first two slots.

I haven't tried it yet, but the PC should be able to boot into safe mode as it can still boot.

I tried resetting the CMOS yesterday and it didn't fix anything.

The configuration from that particular reference section matches my current configuration.

Shahzil

Honorable
Aug 31, 2016
I do have the latest bios. A different processor is working fine and is accepting all four slots. However, the IMC test came out as okay upon running the intel processor diagnostics tool.
Have you got the last Bios? If not, try to update.
Despite of that, can be a board fault or CPU memory controller.