Question Half speeds on router/modem combo C7000 Nighthawk

Nov 13, 2020
Good Morning Everyone,

I have an issue that really is just a pet peeve at this point but I would enjoy being pointed in the right direction. I moved into a house last year and got Spectrum 400Mbps internet. I decided to opt out of their modem/router and bought a Nighthawk C7000.
I've been dealing with somewhat of an issue though, when attempting to get the max speed that I can out of this combo modem I am only able to reach up to around 190-230 Mbps. This goes for hardwired or WiFi, does anyone have some information or configurations that might be able to help with this?

That router should be able to keep up with your internet connection.

Normally I would recommend a factory reset and only set the admin and wifi passwords. There are features that just turning them on will greatly reduce the router throughput. The only concern I would have is if it would have any effect on the modem part of the router. The modem does not actually have any setting you can change so I would think a reset would not affect it.

The key feature that needs to be on is on by default is the NAT acceleration. Vendors call this different name and some they don't even let you see the feature even though the router has it. Without this feature on all traffic must be processed by the CPU and you get speed number in the range you list even on extremely powerful routers.

Maybe check the log for errors maybe you get lucky and see something. There are always some errors in a modem most mean nothing.

Nov 13, 2020
That router should be able to keep up with your internet connection.

Normally I would recommend a factory reset and only set the admin and wifi passwords. There are features that just turning them on will greatly reduce the router throughput. The only concern I would have is if it would have any effect on the modem part of the router. The modem does not actually have any setting you can change so I would think a reset would not affect it.

The key feature that needs to be on is on by default is the NAT acceleration. Vendors call this different name and some they don't even let you see the feature even though the router has it. Without this feature on all traffic must be processed by the CPU and you get speed number in the range you list even on extremely powerful routers.

Maybe check the log for errors maybe you get lucky and see something. There are always some errors in a modem most mean nothing.
I tried a hard reset on the router and now my 5g channel no longer comes up. I am limited to around 100Mbps now as well.

Last edited:
Hard to test it is not likely the router. If you had a separate modem/router you could plug directly into the modem and if it is still slow then you need to see if the ISP can do something. You can try to contact the ISP but they may blame the router even though it is not very likely.

Nov 13, 2020
Hard to test it is not likely the router. If you had a separate modem/router you could plug directly into the modem and if it is still slow then you need to see if the ISP can do something. You can try to contact the ISP but they may blame the router even though it is not very likely.
This c7000 is a modem/router combo, could that be the issue? When the guy installed it he said we may have some issues and actually showed me his connection getting 370-390 Mbps

More the question would be is that particular device defective in some way. A modem/router combo can easily run just as fast as separate units. Inside the hardware still functions as 2 units you just can not plug your pc in between them.

Even very inexpensive routers can run close to 1gbit traffic wan/lan because of the hardware NAT accelerators. So your router should be easily able to handle the traffic. I wonder how he tested did he use a completely different modem.

Not sure what to try next. I suppose you could try to put the device in bridge mode and run it only as a modem. Still if it would work then what you would have to replace the whole unit to replace the router.

Nov 13, 2020
More the question would be is that particular device defective in some way. A modem/router combo can easily run just as fast as separate units. Inside the hardware still functions as 2 units you just can not plug your pc in between them.

Even very inexpensive routers can run close to 1gbit traffic wan/lan because of the hardware NAT accelerators. So your router should be easily able to handle the traffic. I wonder how he tested did he use a completely different modem.

Not sure what to try next. I suppose you could try to put the device in bridge mode and run it only as a modem. Still if it would work then what you would have to replace the whole unit to replace the router.
Any suggestions on a similar router or modem setup that is similar in pricing to 100-200 that shouldn't have an issue with 400mbps

None should have a issue with that speed even the one you have should work. They only thing would be to be sure you get the proper docsis level of channels. The ISP should have a list of supported devices.

How new is the router could it still be under warrenty if it is actually defective. Before you do that I would try to find how to put it in bridge mode. This should disable the router part and let you run it as a simple modem. I am sure it is in the manual somewhere since this is a very common thing to do. If it works fine as a modem then you could just buy a new router which would save you money. If it runs slow as just a modem I would ask the ISP to check things. A modem is pretty simple so they should be able to tell why it is running slow. The modem itself can run on cable system that support gigabit internet so it is more than fast enough.....or should be.

Nov 13, 2020
None should have a issue with that speed even the one you have should work. They only thing would be to be sure you get the proper docsis level of channels. The ISP should have a list of supported devices.

How new is the router could it still be under warrenty if it is actually defective. Before you do that I would try to find how to put it in bridge mode. This should disable the router part and let you run it as a simple modem. I am sure it is in the manual somewhere since this is a very common thing to do. If it works fine as a modem then you could just buy a new router which would save you money. If it runs slow as just a modem I would ask the ISP to check things. A modem is pretty simple so they should be able to tell why it is running slow. The modem itself can run on cable system that support gigabit internet so it is more than fast enough.....or should be.
The combo is a little over a year old, and purchased on Amazon. I'll see if I can do bridge mode and see if it does anything, or try to.

Nov 13, 2020

I ran the combo as modem only and hardwired got close to my speeds I was paying for, I tested it again hardwired as a combo router/modem and went back to my average speeds, granted I was hard wired so i had about 40 more Mbps give or take. So this is leading me to thinking about purchasing a router, but what sense does this make?

Nov 13, 2020
To add on what's been said so far and recap. I went and tried to bridge my modem/router combo and got near or over the Mbps that I am paying for via hard wire. Then I also went out and grabbed a TP-Link Archer and connected that to the now only modem. I received really terrible speeds, and have reverted back to my original setup which is just the combo router/modem.

TRENDING THREADS