[SOLVED] Half the RAM slots on my motherboard keep breaking, then sometime later they start to work again, just to break again after a few hours of load.

Filtered Tapwater

Commendable
Jun 2, 2020
The RAM I bought and am using: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/...BDDR4-3200MHz-CL16-18-18-38-1.35V16GB-(2x8GB)
The RAM I probably should've gotten: https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/167/1536718509/F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX-Specification
My PC's specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
ASRock b450 pro4
Asus Geforce GTX 1070 Turbo
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Samsung 970 EVO Plus
1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD

Very long story made into a long story. A few hours ago my PC froze while I was gaming and wouldn't respond to anything I did so I had to hold down the power button to get it to shut off. When I tried turning it on again it boot looped 3 times (completely shutting off 3 times in a row without me touching the power button), then after it had done that, it boot looped 3 times again, however, this time it didn't completely shut off after each loop (I could see that the ram was stying lit through my case after each loop, unlike the first). After the boot looping had stopped it had reset my BIOS options.
Through some experimentation, I've found out that it's XMP causing the boot looping. I tried setting my RAM to 2133 MHz (the speed it runs the RAM at when I have all RAM settings set to auto) with XMP still on but it just keeps boot looping and resetting my BIOS settings. When I set all my RAM settings to auto it no longer boot loops. However, half my RAM goes completely missing in Windows. It doesn't say that the other half is "reserved" in the task manager like I've heard other people have issues with, it simply says that I've got 8 gigs of RAM in total, nothing reserved, and 1.9 gigabytes cached. Now this would be perfectly acceptable if I only had 8 gigs of RAM in my system, but I don't, I have 16. I tried checking CPU-Z to see if that would recognize the other half of my RAM and surprisingly, it did (it also shows up in my BIOS of course). When I have all of my RAM settings on auto Windows just completely refuses to acknowledge the existence of half my RAM. Nothing software related that I've tried has gotten the other half to work (clean boot, windows reset, completely formatting all my drives and reinstalling Windows, and countless scripts).
At this point, I should probably say that my RAM has been in slot A2 and B2 through all this and that before I had to set all my RAM related settings to auto, my CPU was running at 3200 MHz. When I have my RAM in slot A1 and A2 both sticks work, but it gets extremely unstable if I set it to anything above 2993 MHz, and it's now single channel. I also tried having my RAM in slot B1 and B2 but then it just boot looped forever.
I've had this happen to me 3 times now. Every time that this has happened the situation has always been the exact same as this one. Ever since the first time that this happened I've been running with my RAM in slot A2 and B2. The reason that this keeps reoccurring is that every once in a while I check to see if my RAM has decided to work (by "work" I mean not boot loop) in slot A2 and B2 again, then if it has, ill enjoy the extra frames until it dies again.
My current way of dealing with this issue works just fine (have it in slot A1 and A2 and just deal with the slower speeds), it's just that the thought of those extra frames makes me really want to fix the issue.
It smells a lot like broken RAM slots but the chances of slot B1 and B2 both breaking at the same time really throws me off. The fact that I apparently bought the wrong RAM AND that every few months it decides to suddenly work really doesn't help either.

Solution
Hello, i had the exact same problem, the problem is when you change the memory frequency you have to enable XMP, because i had my memory at 3200 mhz, but i didnt do XMP, and it was running with 1.2 V, when it had to run with 1.35V, and another problem that happened to me also could be ram using A2 and B2, it did never boot, so now im using B1 and B2, if you need more help, here is my email: ethanchristiansen@icloud.com , and here is my discord: un maricon#3943
Jun 17, 2020
Hello, i had the exact same problem, the problem is when you change the memory frequency you have to enable XMP, because i had my memory at 3200 mhz, but i didnt do XMP, and it was running with 1.2 V, when it had to run with 1.35V, and another problem that happened to me also could be ram using A2 and B2, it did never boot, so now im using B1 and B2, if you need more help, here is my email: ethanchristiansen@icloud.com , and here is my discord: un maricon#3943

Solution