[SOLVED] half volume from headphone jack

Feb 17, 2022
Hi all, i recently bought a pair of sennheiser gsp 500 headphnes to replace my <Mod Edit> logitech usb headphones and im having some serious issues.
First of all when plugging into the front of my desktop tower the sound is near on non existent, so i plug in to the back straight into the motherboard where i would normally plug in my speakers and this gives me clear nice sound but here is where the problem is, the volume just isnt there. i have volume maxed on windows speakers and volume turned right up on my headphones but when im playing music or a game the volume is just about half what i can get from my crappy logitech headphones. i have looked in every dam setting i can find. on top of this when im playing music and go into my sound settings the volume only peaks at 50% now ive read soomewhere that the motherboard usually has the inputs limited as generally powered speakers with amplifiers are plugged in. is there somewhere i can change that setting or how can i fix this problem! its driving me up the wall and i want to exhaust all my options before i resort to buying an amplifier for these headphones.
my motherboard is a msi z390-a pro
i have updated drivers
please help,

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
check any Nahimic, Sonic Suite, or other Realtek software installed to see if there are any advanced options like digital surround or Atmos enabled through them.
they may also have some MIC enhancement options enabled that can affect volume when detected.

also try the set on other devices like phone, TV, etc and make sure they are working as they should there.
Feb 17, 2022
hey thanks for the reponse the back ports seem to be running fine. heres another curve to the works, so if i plug my normal speakers into the back where i can get half sound from, then i plug my headphones into the speakers headphone out i can get a fair bit more volume, but again that is cranking the volume on the physical speakers to 100% as well. i dont feel i should e able to crank that far and comfortably listen. although this solution would be ok i guess but it renders my microphone useless as the speakers dont have a mic in port.

you don't state if you've corrected or even checked for any issue within the 'Sound' panel.
check each device's "Configure" and "Properties" options.
if a particular device is not configured correctly or if advanced signal or volume control options are enabled it can lead to standard stereo volume issues.

also,
in the 'Communication' tab make sure that "Do nothing" is selected.
anytime a mic is detected audio will be cut to 50 or 80% if either of these options are selected.

Feb 17, 2022
hey sorry about that, yea i have changed setting to do nothing in communication tab and ive checked the configuration is all good and everything is above board there.

check any Nahimic, Sonic Suite, or other Realtek software installed to see if there are any advanced options like digital surround or Atmos enabled through them.
they may also have some MIC enhancement options enabled that can affect volume when detected.

also try the set on other devices like phone, TV, etc and make sure they are working as they should there.

Solution