Halo 2: Idiocy of the boot option

Friendly fire. We've all heared it before. It happens in real life, and
it sure as hell happens in games. Especially Halo 2. Despite this,
Bungie was wise enough to place a boot option in their game.
Accidentally kill an ally -- even in the process of saving others or
protecting your side of the fence, and you're liable to be booted from
the game. They made it so the option pops right in the middle of your
screen -- in a fast-paced, first-person shooter, notwithstanding.
(meaning there's alot of accidental boots) I'm simply struck as to how
supposedly intelligent people could sit together and decide on
something so contradictory and irrational.

Nobody's perfect, and that certainly goes for Bungie because they
mishandled this.

Some suggestions:

- team vote on booting
- friendly fire limit (say more than two)
- one minute wait after friendly fire

Thoth

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Friendly fire. We've all heared it before. It happens in real life, and
> it sure as hell happens in games. Especially Halo 2. Despite this,
> Bungie was wise enough to place a boot option in their game.
> Accidentally kill an ally -- even in the process of saving others or
> protecting your side of the fence, and you're liable to be booted from
> the game. They made it so the option pops right in the middle of your
> screen -- in a fast-paced, first-person shooter, notwithstanding.
> (meaning there's alot of accidental boots) I'm simply struck as to how
> supposedly intelligent people could sit together and decide on
> something so contradictory and irrational.
>
> Nobody's perfect, and that certainly goes for Bungie because they
> mishandled this.
>
> Some suggestions:
>
> - team vote on booting
> - friendly fire limit (say more than two)
> - one minute wait after friendly fire

I've played about a thousand matches and I've never been booted. I've
killed teammates, but never once been booted for it. Do you get a
confirmation note after you've been booted? I mean, are you really being
booted or just losing connection?

aether wrote:
> Friendly fire. We've all heared it before. It happens in real life,
and
> it sure as hell happens in games. Especially Halo 2. Despite this,
> Bungie was wise enough to place a boot option in their game.
> Accidentally kill an ally -- even in the process of saving others or
> protecting your side of the fence, and you're liable to be booted
from
> the game. They made it so the option pops right in the middle of your
> screen -- in a fast-paced, first-person shooter, notwithstanding.
> (meaning there's alot of accidental boots) I'm simply struck as to
how
> supposedly intelligent people could sit together and decide on
> something so contradictory and irrational.
>
> Nobody's perfect, and that certainly goes for Bungie because they
> mishandled this.
>
> Some suggestions:
>
> - team vote on booting
> - friendly fire limit (say more than two)
> - one minute wait after friendly fire

Jeeze, enough already. You already told us two months about how you
were wrongly booted from a game. Get over it already.

Brad

I actually have booted a guy for killing us on purpose, I let it go the
first time but the guy wouldn't learn so I booted him out. If someone messes
up and kills me by accident I have no problem with that, esp with the rocket
launcher. I have killed my own guys more than once. One guy went into a
cussing frenzy on me, but it was an accident with a rocket. It happens
sometimes.
Brad
"Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.net> wrote in message
> "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Friendly fire. We've all heared it before. It happens in real life, and
> > it sure as hell happens in games. Especially Halo 2. Despite this,
> > Bungie was wise enough to place a boot option in their game.
> > Accidentally kill an ally -- even in the process of saving others or
> > protecting your side of the fence, and you're liable to be booted from
> > the game. They made it so the option pops right in the middle of your
> > screen -- in a fast-paced, first-person shooter, notwithstanding.
> > (meaning there's alot of accidental boots) I'm simply struck as to how
> > supposedly intelligent people could sit together and decide on
> > something so contradictory and irrational.
> >
> > Nobody's perfect, and that certainly goes for Bungie because they
> > mishandled this.
> >
> > Some suggestions:
> >
> > - team vote on booting
> > - friendly fire limit (say more than two)
> > - one minute wait after friendly fire
>
> I've played about a thousand matches and I've never been booted. I've
> killed teammates, but never once been booted for it. Do you get a
> confirmation note after you've been booted? I mean, are you really being
> booted or just losing connection?

robin

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Friendly fire. We've all heared it before. It happens in
> real life, and
> it sure as hell happens in games. Especially Halo 2.
> Despite this,
> Bungie was wise enough to place a boot option in their
> game.
> Accidentally kill an ally -- even in the process of saving
> others or
> protecting your side of the fence, and you're liable to be
> booted from
> the game. They made it so the option pops right in the
> middle of your
> screen -- in a fast-paced, first-person shooter,
> notwithstanding.
> (meaning there's alot of accidental boots) I'm simply
> struck as to how
> supposedly intelligent people could sit together and
> decide on
> something so contradictory and irrational.
>
> Nobody's perfect, and that certainly goes for Bungie
> because they
> mishandled this.
>
> Some suggestions:
>
> - team vote on booting
> - friendly fire limit (say more than two)
> - one minute wait after friendly fire

Fortunately most Live players are intelligent enough to
distinguish between accidental friendly fire, and that
irritating crackhead who runs around intentionally killing
his teammates.

Thoth

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

"Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Friendly fire. We've all heared it before. It happens in real life, and
>> it sure as hell happens in games. Especially Halo 2. Despite this,
>> Bungie was wise enough to place a boot option in their game.
>> Accidentally kill an ally -- even in the process of saving others or
>> protecting your side of the fence, and you're liable to be booted from
>> the game. They made it so the option pops right in the middle of your
>> screen -- in a fast-paced, first-person shooter, notwithstanding.
>> (meaning there's alot of accidental boots) I'm simply struck as to how
>> supposedly intelligent people could sit together and decide on
>> something so contradictory and irrational.
>>
>> Nobody's perfect, and that certainly goes for Bungie because they
>> mishandled this.
>>
>> Some suggestions:
>>
>> - team vote on booting
>> - friendly fire limit (say more than two)
>> - one minute wait after friendly fire
>>

> Fortunately most Live players are intelligent enough to distinguish
> between accidental friendly fire, and that irritating crackhead who runs
> around intentionally killing his teammates.

Are you suggesting our friend is in the latter category? That would
certainly explain his lack of popularity.

>>>I've played about a thousand matches and I've never been booted.
I've
killed teammates, but never once been booted for it. Do you get a
confirmation note after you've been booted? I mean, are you really
being
booted or just losing connection?<<<

Nope, I was booted. On top of it all, I was the 'star' of the team --
and the game was already over! I was booted after it said 'bomb armed,
bomb planted.. game over'. The guy jumped in front of me (actually over
my head), and I immediately killed him with a shotgun.

As I said before, Bungie could've handled this better.

robin

"Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.net> wrote in message
> "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Friendly fire. We've all heared it before. It happens in
>> real life, and
>> it sure as hell happens in games. Especially Halo 2.
>> Despite this,
>> Bungie was wise enough to place a boot option in their
>> game.
>> Accidentally kill an ally -- even in the process of
>> saving others or
>> protecting your side of the fence, and you're liable to
>> be booted from
>> the game. They made it so the option pops right in the
>> middle of your
>> screen -- in a fast-paced, first-person shooter,
>> notwithstanding.
>> (meaning there's alot of accidental boots) I'm simply
>> struck as to how
>> supposedly intelligent people could sit together and
>> decide on
>> something so contradictory and irrational.
>>
>> Nobody's perfect, and that certainly goes for Bungie
>> because they
>> mishandled this.
>>
>> Some suggestions:
>>
>> - team vote on booting
>> - friendly fire limit (say more than two)
>> - one minute wait after friendly fire
>
> I've played about a thousand matches and I've never been
> booted. I've killed teammates, but never once been booted
> for it. Do you get a confirmation note after you've been
> booted? I mean, are you really being booted or just
> losing connection?

Lately I have lost the option to boot people after they
betray me. Has anybody heard of anything like that? I've
been betrayed several times without getting the option to
boot, and a few of them I really would have.

> "Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.net> wrote in message
>> "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Friendly fire. We've all heared it before. It happens in real life, and
>>> it sure as hell happens in games. Especially Halo 2. Despite this,
>>> Bungie was wise enough to place a boot option in their game.
>>> Accidentally kill an ally -- even in the process of saving others or
>>> protecting your side of the fence, and you're liable to be booted from
>>> the game. They made it so the option pops right in the middle of your
>>> screen -- in a fast-paced, first-person shooter, notwithstanding.
>>> (meaning there's alot of accidental boots) I'm simply struck as to how
>>> supposedly intelligent people could sit together and decide on
>>> something so contradictory and irrational.
>>>
>>> Nobody's perfect, and that certainly goes for Bungie because they
>>> mishandled this.
>>>
>>> Some suggestions:
>>>
>>> - team vote on booting
>>> - friendly fire limit (say more than two)
>>> - one minute wait after friendly fire
>>
>> I've played about a thousand matches and I've never been booted. I've
>> killed teammates, but never once been booted for it. Do you get a
>> confirmation note after you've been booted? I mean, are you really being
>> booted or just losing connection?
>>

> Lately I have lost the option to boot people after they betray me. Has
> anybody heard of anything like that? I've been betrayed several times
> without getting the option to boot, and a few of them I really would have.

I'm pretty sure they have to team kill more than once before the boot option
comes up.

I think that if you kill a teamate and there is no enemy fire (the player
that is BEING betrayed hasn't taken any hits), you have the option to boot a
player.
> "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.net> wrote in message
> >> "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> I've played about a thousand matches and I've never been booted. I've
> >> killed teammates, but never once been booted for it. Do you get a
> >> confirmation note after you've been booted? I mean, are you really
being
> >> booted or just losing connection?
> >>

> > Lately I have lost the option to boot people after they betray me. Has
> > anybody heard of anything like that? I've been betrayed several times
> > without getting the option to boot, and a few of them I really would
have.

> I'm pretty sure they have to team kill more than once before the boot
option
> comes up.

robin

"mbertranda152" <mbertranda152@rogers.com> wrote in message
>I think that if you kill a teamate and there is no enemy
>fire (the player
> that is BEING betrayed hasn't taken any hits), you have
> the option to boot a
> player.

I don't know. I was in the flagroom on coagulation alone
with one guy. He killed me and I never fired a shot. Also
on zanzibar, I had a teammate get mad when I got to the
sniper before he did, so he came up behind me and whacked
me. I didn't get a boot option either time, and both times
it would have been quite appropriate.

> "Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.net> wrote in message
>> "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Thoth" <thoth@notlisted.net> wrote in message
> and

> being
>> >>

>> > Lately I have lost the option to boot people after they
>> > betray me. Has
>> > anybody heard of anything like that? I've been
>> > betrayed several times
>> > without getting the option to boot, and a few of them I
>> > really would
> have.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure they have to team kill more than once
>> before the boot
> option
>> comes up.

Now you're talking.

BTW, I had it happen again. Was 'Waterworks', and was in the process of
destroying the enemy's base with the wraith. Had already killed over 20
from the side angle, but accidentally killed a single ally who was in
the midst of multiple enemy units -- and was booted. It's without
question one of the most obvious mistakes in a game I've seen made by a
developer. There's simply no distinguishment between truly an accident
and a crazed teammate.

wjm

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Friendly fire. We've all heared it before. It happens in real life, and
> it sure as hell happens in games. Especially Halo 2. Despite this,
> Bungie was wise enough to place a boot option in their game.
> Accidentally kill an ally -- even in the process of saving others or
> protecting your side of the fence, and you're liable to be booted from
> the game. They made it so the option pops right in the middle of your
> screen -- in a fast-paced, first-person shooter, notwithstanding.
> (meaning there's alot of accidental boots) I'm simply struck as to how
> supposedly intelligent people could sit together and decide on
> something so contradictory and irrational.

I wouldn't try to make sense out of the game. It doesn't have any. It's
geared towards the mentally retarded segment of the population, which
happens to be the majority. If you enjoy theatrics and an arcade feel,
then Halo 2 is for you. If you prefer realism, you're going to be
waiting forever. The masses like to use the mush between their ears as
infrequently as possible.