Hand Tracking In VR: Leap Motion Hands-On

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

in the article you said you could not calibrate the leap motion, perhaps that's the reason for the poor performance and accuracy, why don't you try solve the calibration problem first

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Without the calibration, I don't know why you'd even make this article. I get it if you get paid for it you need to come out with something, but you don't just push something under the rug because of your inability to properly run said "something". This article really should be taken down or heavily emphasized as opinionated.

"Unfortunately, I may have set myself up for disappointment with that attitude. The Leap Motion does indeed track your hands in space, and it certainly shows a glimpse of what AR could look like in the near future, but there's still some work to be done. The technology has potential, but I fear the current iteration isn't quite up to snuff. Accuracy must be improved dramatically before this can be used as a viable complement to consumer virtual reality."
The calibration is made to fix ALL of this. I honestly am very disappointed in this conclusion and how you feel it's due to the technology and not the inability to run the core application that makes the device work properly.

WeaponZero

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
How about trying it with one of these VR gloves?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gloveone/gloveone-feel-virtual-reality/

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
Without the calibration, I don't know why you'd even make this article. I get it if you get paid for it you need to come out with something, but you don't just push something under the rug because of your inability to properly run said "something". This article really should be taken down or heavily emphasized as opinionated.

The calibration is made to fix ALL of this. I honestly am very disappointed in this conclusion and how you feel it's due to the technology and not the inability to run the core application that makes the device work properly.

This is all fair, and I intend to revisit this in the near future with a follow up article.
the idea behind this piece was the report on my initial experience with the device, good or bad, to represent what someone purchasing the device may go through.

that being said, I see your point on the conclusion and will make sure to address this in my update.

Status
Not open for further replies.