News Handheld gaming PC makers look to Intel Lunar Lake CPUs as an alternative to dominant Ryzen Z1

Here is the screen grab which I took yesterday. The original computex link is not working:

Image Source: Computex Taipei

Intel-Lunar-Lake-Core-Ultra-200V-CPU-Powered-Gaming-Handheld-GP10-_2.png

Weibu specializes in mini-ITX motherboards, and an early 2024 LinkedIn post from the company’s sales consultant Wilson Chung hinted at an upcoming handheld console.

So it does seem to confirm that Weibu is planning to introduce a handheld console lineup later this year.

Last edited:
Here is the screen grab which I took yesterday. The original computex link is not working:

Image Source: Computex Taipei

Intel-Lunar-Lake-Core-Ultra-200V-CPU-Powered-Gaming-Handheld-GP10-_2.png

Weibu specializes in mini-ITX motherboards, and an early 2024 LinkedIn post from the company’s sales consultant Wilson Chung hinted at an upcoming handheld console.

So it does seem to confirm that Weibu is planning to introduce a handheld console lineup later this year.
Is this just a tablet with a (wifi) controller?! WTF taipei.

kealii123

Great
Nov 3, 2023
Is this just a tablet with a (wifi) controller?! WTF taipei.
It looks lke its similiar to this

https://onexplayerstore.com/products/x1

I would have pulled the trigger on the onexplayer above, but I was waiting to see how the new Intel chips performed. I'm glad I waited; graphically to match a basic steamdeck it needs nearly twice the wattage. If Qualcomm's claims about compatibility and performance are true, then a Snapdragon X elite powered handheld will have nearly the same performance advantage over a steamdeck as the steamdeck has over intel powered handhelds (imagine rtx 4050 laptop performance in a handheld at 15 watts)

peachpuff

Reputable
Apr 6, 2021
It looks lke its similiar to this

https://onexplayerstore.com/products/x1

I would have pulled the trigger on the onexplayer above, but I was waiting to see how the new Intel chips performed. I'm glad I waited; graphically to match a basic steamdeck it needs nearly twice the wattage. If Qualcomm's claims about compatibility and performance are true, then a Snapdragon X elite powered handheld will have nearly the same performance advantage over a steamdeck as the steamdeck has over intel powered handhelds (imagine rtx 4050 laptop performance in a handheld at 15 watts)
Lol @ the price of this thing, I got a powkiddy x55 recently for like $75 mainly for roms, can't imagine paying that amount of money for a handheld.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
It sounds like Lunar Lake will have unexpectedly high iGPU performance, possibly better than Meteor Lake-H:

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-c...e-xe2-lpg-graphics-tested-in-first-benchmarks

That's a model with 87.5% of the cores (56 EUs of 64) beating Meteor Lake-H with 128 EUs by 19%, despite being clocked lower. But I don't know anything about the SiSoftware benchmark, and there's nothing about the memory speeds, so you tell me if you're impressed.

Something major has happened internally if "56 EUs" (7 Xe2 cores) are faster than "128 EUs" (8 Xe cores). Performance/Watt is up but some structure must have doubled with Xe2.

High IPC 8c/8t should do well for handhelds considering the Steam Deck's 4c/8t Zen 2.

I think the obvious chip to compare to in the future will be AMD's Kraken Point, which is also a lower power 4+4 hybrid design, but that could end up with a worse iGPU.

Lol @ the price of this thing, I got a powkiddy x55 recently for like $75 mainly for roms, can't imagine paying that amount of money for a handheld.
You get what you pay for. I don't think I would blow more than $400 (entry-level Steam Deck intro price), but you could end up with a handheld that could be turned into a capable mini PC as needed (moreso than the RK3566 w/ 4x Cortex-A55, which is used in slow SBCs).

However these $1000+ handhelds must be a dying breed with Steam Deck occupying a $400-500 tier and ROG Ally (ripped a new one by GN), Legion Go, etc. at around $700-800. Often less for sales/refurbs. If there's any justification for the price, they do it by comparing to high end laptops.

kealii123

Great
Nov 3, 2023
It sounds like Lunar Lake will have unexpectedly high iGPU performance, possibly better than Meteor Lake-H:

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-c...e-xe2-lpg-graphics-tested-in-first-benchmarks

That's a model with 87.5% of the cores (56 EUs of 64) beating Meteor Lake-H with 128 EUs by 19%, despite being clocked lower. But I don't know anything about the SiSoftware benchmark, and there's nothing about the memory speeds, so you tell me if you're impressed.

Something major has happened internally if "56 EUs" (7 Xe2 cores) are faster than "128 EUs" (8 Xe cores). Performance/Watt is up but some structure must have doubled with Xe2.

High IPC 8c/8t should do well for handhelds considering the Steam Deck's 4c/8t Zen 2.

I think the obvious chip to compare to in the future will be AMD's Kraken Point, which is also a lower power 4+4 hybrid design, but that could end up with a worse iGPU.

You get what you pay for. I don't think I would blow more than $400 (entry-level Steam Deck intro price), but you could end up with a handheld that could be turned into a capable mini PC as needed (moreso than the RK3566 w/ 4x Cortex-A55, which is used in slow SBCs).

However these $1000+ handhelds must be a dying breed with Steam Deck occupying a $400-500 tier and ROG Ally (ripped a new one by GN), Legion Go, etc. at around $700-800. Often less for sales/refurbs. If there's any justification for the price, they do it by comparing to high end laptops.
$1100 or whatever is actually pretty good for a windows tablet IF the intel chip actually performed as promised. As is, laptops with that CPU start at about the same price.

Qualcomm may or may not be lying about their performance of their new chips, but the Dell leak shows they are charging vendors for less than half what Intel charges, so maybe that could help get pricing under control.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
I want a 7~10" device that can fit a 2280 NVMe, and has >10hrs of battery life when playing video over wifi.
Bonus points if it can run games without hitting 100c.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I want a 7~10" device that can fit a 2280 NVMe, and has >10hrs of battery life when playing video over wifi.
Well it's interesting that the ASUS Rog Ally X switched to M.2 2280 from M.2 2230. You aren't getting that battery life but I wonder if you actually need it.

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
That is impossible. The NVME alone can draw up to 5w at peak, it will drain any reasonable battery within a couple of hours.

If you want battery life, go for android devices. Pocket S or Odin 2, great battery life, and when you need to use it as a PC - moonlight works great.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
That is impossible. The NVME alone can draw up to 5w at peak, it will drain any reasonable battery within a couple of hours.

If you want battery life, go for android devices. Pocket S or Odin 2, great battery life, and when you need to use it as a PC - moonlight works great.
Nah, you just have to make the device thicccc in the middle.
Steamdeck is 49mm (1.9in) thick, but that thickness is from the joysticks and ergonomic grips.
What I propose is making the center piece the same thickness, so you don't waste space when you carry it. People use protective cases, and hardshell cases all the time. Some even bring a bulky power bank. The total bag space consumed is a lot bulkier than you'd think.

It's pretty clear to me that people don't mind carrying around extra bulk, so this "thinness at the cost of everything else" device craze is something that marketing made up.
IMO, what people really look for in a device is its total volume and weight, it's just that they don't realize it because "thinness!".

Off Topic::

According to a rumour from Twitter user XpeaGPU, Mediatek is teaming up with Nvidia for a gaming handheld SoC which could use an Nvidia GPU.

NVIDIA and MediaTek are reportedly working on an brand new SoC for handheld and other gaming consoles that could be revealed in a few weeks at Computex 2024.

We should expect to see the Arm-based chip as soon as Q3 2024 - but shipments aren't expected until 2025. They should be priced at around $300, but the rumor is that they're using TSMC's cutting-edge 3nm node.

This new SoC isn't the same as the one to be used in the Switch 2.

We already know that Mediatek will be using its next-gen RTX and AI GPU IP based on the Blackwell architecture for automotive SoCs, but there might be more than one deal between these two companies.

View: https://x.com/XpeaGPU/status/1790588407942684944

View: https://x.com/dnystedt/status/1789825653501833463

Last edited:

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023

I’ve not seen any evidence that Battlemage will only have half the shaders per Xe core. You’re the first person I’ve seen making that claim.

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
Nah, you just have to make the device thicccc in the middle.
Steamdeck is 49mm (1.9in) thick, but that thickness is from the joysticks and ergonomic grips.
What I propose is making the center piece the same thickness, so you don't waste space when you carry it. People use protective cases, and hardshell cases all the time. Some even bring a bulky power bank. The total bag space consumed is a lot bulkier than you'd think.

It's pretty clear to me that people don't mind carrying around extra bulk, so this "thinness at the cost of everything else" device craze is something that marketing made up.
IMO, what people really look for in a device is its total volume and weight, it's just that they don't realize it because "thinness!".
How thick? In order to get over 10 hours of battery life on a 15-20w TDP device like a windows handheld you need a 54000 mah battery as a bare minimum. The battery alone would cost more than 200$ minimum, weight at least a kg and be...well, have you seen how big a 200wh battery is?

A flat 49mm steam deck would be nowhere big enough to house such a battery unless said battery was around 40+ cm long.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
How thick? In order to get over 10 hours of battery life on a 15-20w TDP device like a windows handheld you need a 54000 mah battery as a bare minimum. The battery alone would cost more than 200$ minimum, weight at least a kg and be...well, have you seen how big a 200wh battery is?

A flat 49mm steam deck would be nowhere big enough to house such a battery unless said battery was around 40+ cm long.
What are you smoking?
Steamdeck OLED gets >8hrs on video playback, and it only packs a 40Whr battery.
If you double that to 80Whr, that's easily 16hrs.

Reactions: kealii123

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I’ve not seen any evidence that Battlemage will only have half the shaders per Xe core. You’re the first person I’ve seen making that claim.
https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-l...ecution-units-of-next-gen-battlemage-graphics
Importantly, Battlemage has a different EU structure than Alchemist. Battlemage uses the same SIMD16 EU configuration as Ponte Vecchio, Intel’s high-end data center GPU. This means that each EU can process 16 operations per clock cycle instead of 8 as in Alchemist. This also means that the number of Xe cores count is halved.

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
What are you smoking?
Steamdeck OLED gets >8hrs on video playback, and it only packs a 40Whr battery.
If you double that to 80Whr, that's easily 16hrs.
Thought you were talking about gaming. Still, find it hard to believe steamdeck lasts 8hours streaming video over wifi. You sure?

Lunar lake is expected to leverage the Xe2 graphics architecture with 16-wide SMT, packing up to 64 Vector Engines for a total of 1,024 shaders.

But this is OLD info and that tweet/article was posted last year, so the final architecture plans might change, so we need to wait for official info as well.

LUNAR-LAKE-05-720x393.jpg

Reactions: usertests