Question Handicapped overclock of Ryzen 7 2700

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Hello.

Recently i've build a new PC and I'm struggling with some weird issues of my CPU.
It overclocks itself while installing a new app, or just starting steam or other apps.
According to Ryzen Master, it sometimes achieves 4.1 GHz and 1.4 core voltage.
That doesn't sound like an issue, right? But everytime I play GTA 5, Witcher 3, or any other AAA games, it stays stock.
Its always 3.3 GHz. No matter where I am, Los Santos, Novigrad, its always 3.3 GHz, all settings maxed out.
I'm really annoyed by that... Its not rtx 3090 and i9 9900k, but come on, its not that slow, is it?
My specs:
-Ryzen 7 2700
-GTX 1660 super OC
-16 GB ram patriot 2400 cl 14
-ASRock b450m Steel Legend
-SPC Vero L3 600W 80Bronze

I've overclocked my CPU to stable 3.6 GHz, but I dont want it to be 3.6 on idle, I would like it to be stock on idle, and auto overclocked in games,
just like it does automaticly when installing or running other apps :C 4,1 GHz watching youtube, and 3.3 while gaming, seriously?
What should I do? Please help ;c

Thanks everybody!

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
3.6 is not even the all core boost speed for that processor.

Undo your overclock and just let it do it's on thing using the boost speed.
It seems like you didn't even read it properly, Zerk.
What I mean, is that auto boost only boost my cpu on idle, while watching youtube or starting apps like steam, discord etc.
But when I'm playing games, it doesnt OC at all, nothing.
Its always 3.3 GHz, and thats why I had to overclock it in bios to safe 3.6 GHz.
Im searching for a solution, so it WILL overclock itself in games, the same way it does on idle :C

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
It seems like you didn't even read it properly, Zerk.
What I mean, is that auto boost only boost my cpu on idle, while watching youtube or starting apps like steam, discord etc.
But when I'm playing games, it doesnt OC at all, nothing.
Its always 3.3 GHz, and thats why I had to overclock it in bios to safe 3.6 GHz.
Im searching for a solution, so it WILL overclock itself in games, the same way it does on idle :C
Yes I did read the post your words.

I've overclocked my CPU to stable 3.6 GHz, but I dont want it to be 3.6 on idle, I would like it to be stock on idle, and auto overclocked in games

My answer is the same. You can from their check your temps to make sure it's not thermal throttling.

It's normal for those processors to jump around from boost to normal when not really under load.

GoldBergz

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Yes I did read the post your words.

I've overclocked my CPU to stable 3.6 GHz, but I dont want it to be 3.6 on idle, I would like it to be stock on idle, and auto overclocked in games

My answer is the same. You can from their check your temps to make sure it's not thermal throttling.

It's normal for those processors to jump around from boost to normal when not really under load.

It doesnt auto overclocking in games, even at 60-70% of CPU usage, i've tested it already.
I got 45 fps in Los Santos, after OC to 3.6 its 52 fps. It clearly could go with higher clock speed, but it just doesn't...
It doesnt throttle, its 45 celcius XD 45 degrees in game, maxed out settings...